Textures

tlc

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm making my own collections for the same reasons as Rev Jo. Ages ago I think Persephone was doing some lovely "backgrounds" with wool and bark. I love everyone's work on this thread and appreciate the links - I don't see anything nqr about using other artist's textures, but just found doing your own selecting/collecting is more satisfying (and challenging).

Jo you mentioned spinning - one of Perseph's was of wool, there is a ton of magic scope there. A mohair (Angora goat) spinner near us also does the dyeing and the colours are stunning, hoping to 'take advantage'.

That's what I thought huga. I have now updated my grunge brushes to make more backgrounds so if I need to I can knock them up quickly.

I'm in a spinning group PC and plan do take the camera. There is one guy who is in his nineties and I really want to get some of him spinning, particularly focusing on his hands.

Yeah, that's the case. I've heard that there's a loophole - take a photo of the texture you already have, but I wouldn't bother, just in case.

Judges see texture as a bit of a fad anyway.

Another irritating rule is that you can't have composites in the family category, which is so silly - because lots of those posed baby in stuff images should be composites. If they aren't, they are putting the baby in danger. Grrrrr.

file-121.jpg

Looking at this shot now with the texture I think it looks a bit funny around the bottom, maybe I should have just brushed back his head and chest? Im only a novice? any thoughts?

Edited by tlc

Guest Tess32

The hands pose (you know what I mean) HAS to be a composite though?

I don't think I used any textures in the images I entered, but I honestly can't remember, I don't tend to pay attention to what I'm doing with pics half the time!

Yes, feet look a bit weird, try leaving the texture over the top or cropping them out. I'm going through pictures where textures have been used to see how they work when subtle, I'm used to using them with heavy manipulation and graphics and didn't know it was a thing with portraits.

I had another go but it was doing my head in so I gave up and had a go at some different ones. Its fun.

file-123.jpg

file-124.jpg

Yes I am having fun having a play with textures!

Just seen this shot on Facey, love it!

Im very dissapointed my lens didnt turn up today. :cry: I was hoping to have it over the weekend.

World would be a very boring place if we all did the same thing :laugh: I'm hit and miss with the magic wand as well so I was hoping for some collective wisdom to get better at it. The sky and my model rooster wouldn't cooperate and I need blue sky for a retro thing. trial and error is a boring pain!

Thanks Pers, I am just figuring out what looks too over done and what texture suits what photo. I love the very subtle ones that you can hardly tell are there but I like some of the bolder ones too.

I love that one, just seen it on facey.

It's quite amazing how different textures make different photos look so different. You can add some and think they might look great but they look aweful. :laugh:

Here's one I just did for a client session....I prefer textures pretty subtle on people shots so you can tell they are there but it still looks relatively natural.

228539_351688008245851_63824545_n.jpg