Pet Vet Bills Give Paws For Thought

samoyedman

At the very least I wish people would think about animals in really basic terms like they would their car. You put cheap petrol, oil and parts in your car and it is going to run rougher and give you less mileage for your dollar. You neglect engine lights, leaks and bald tyres and it might break down and cost you so much money you can't even afford to get it back on the road.

But if you care for your car, send it in for every service due, keep those tyres pumped up, oil and water topped up and use an appropriate fuel for the type of vehicle it is then it will reward you with years of hard service and be value for money.

So if you can't look after a car don't even think of getting a dog!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the very least I wish people would think about animals in really basic terms like they would their car. You put cheap petrol, oil and parts in your car and it is going to run rougher and give you less mileage for your dollar. You neglect engine lights, leaks and bald tyres and it might break down and cost you so much money you can't even afford to get it back on the road.

But if you care for your car, send it in for every service due, keep those tyres pumped up, oil and water topped up and use an appropriate fuel for the type of vehicle it is then it will reward you with years of hard service and be value for money.

So if you can't look after a car don't even think of getting a dog!

Dogs are organisms, not machines. Annual vaccination isn't the same as an oil change every X000 km. Once immunity is established, re-vaccination may do more harm than good. Many vets are enthusiastic about sending out notices cause they want to keep their practice busy. That doesn't mean those services are needed.

Expensive doesn't equal better. Vets who specialize in some procedure, cause they have expertise and good equipment, will often be cheaper than vets with more office glitz but less experience. A country vet, who sees a wound and knows from experience that the thing will heal with simple cleaning and oral antibiotic will cost much less than a new graduate who insists on putting the dog under, doing a surgical cleaning job and stitching up. Much-advertized imported dog food isn't necessarily better than figuring out how to buy 'scrap' meat through the raw foods distribution network.

"I also realise that getting vets that are prepared to work overnight would be difficult and I presume more expensive but three times the amount seems incredible"

I work as an Emergency Nurse. I get paid time and a half from 8pm-midnight and double when working from midnight to 8am. I have to stay awake all night and I am not permitted to sleep even when it is really quiet. I wouldn't do emergency hours if I wasn't paid this way. There has to be some compensation for staying awake all night! I don't however, know how much the emergency vets get paid.

Guest donatella

"I also realise that getting vets that are prepared to work overnight would be difficult and I presume more expensive but three times the amount seems incredible"

I work as an Emergency Nurse. I get paid time and a half from 8pm-midnight and double when working from midnight to 8am. I have to stay awake all night and I am not permitted to sleep even when it is really quiet. I wouldn't do emergency hours if I wasn't paid this way. There has to be some compensation for staying awake all night! I don't however, know how much the emergency vets get paid.

Talk to all the nurses, doctors, police, fireman and other workers who do night shift and don't get much compensation for staying up all night. It's called doing it because you have a love of the job.

I'd love to get double time for night shift!

Talk to all the nurses, doctors, police, fireman and other workers who do night shift and don't get much compensation for staying up all night. It's called doing it because you have a love of the job.

I'd love to get double time for night shift!

I do think (know) nurses and other human workers start on a significantly higher wage bracket than a vet nurse. So the penalties for night duty for a vet nurse probably just bring them in line with your nightshift penalties.

Based on a midwifes salary and what I the vet nurses where I have worked were paid here in NSW. I dont actually think I could survive on a vet nurses salary- which is part of the reason veterinary work is cheaper than human medicine :)

Guest donatella

Yep, there is definitely a significant difference and most who do anything with animals do it for the love because there is rarely any money. I'd have thought vet nurses would be lining up to do emergency vet nursing work to actually pull in the $$'s.

I get paid 25% extra for my nights, when i'm awake at 2am in the morning sipping on my 8th cup of coffee I feel like I should be paid 225% more but I know it was all part and parcel of the job when I signed up for it. Compensation or not, it comes with the turf.

I have very healthy well bred dogs. One recently needed TPLO surgery from what was an accident.

I have been paid around 6 years worth of premiums, plus I have claimed for xrays etc before when she has dmaged her toes/crashed.

My other dog I have claimed very little but I am about even with him, maybe behind a bit. I live in an area with lots of snakes, I also haev a breed that run very fast but do not always lookw here theya re going. I could have put their yearly premiums away and would be behind.