What Dog Would You Suggest For Us?

MsDani

Buldogs make excellent pets BUT they area lot of dog in a smallpackage & people make the mistake of the Cute factor but they grow quickly & area powerful unit when untrained.

We board alot of Bulldogs in all seasons & all are healthy ,happy dogs that live a normal life.

We have also boarded Aussie Bulldogs of all shapes & sizes & many riddled with HD & other issues.Sadly the owners brought them under the assumption they are healthier because they believed the stories told by those who have no clue .

All the Bulldogs we board are owned by people that work .

But i guess the biggest factor to consider is how much you wish to pay for your next dog BB aren't cheap .

I would certainly do a list of what you want/don't want or could live with if it was the right dog.

Coat care

Active

inactive

cuddly

independent

etc etc

I had a 11 year old maltese and when her life long mate passed on got a golden retreiver pup. It actually gave Daisy a huge new lease of life and she bossed the golden retreiver pup around. I didn't leave them together when I was at work but when home they were and had great games together. She actually was awesome for telling him off too, he was about to bite an electrical cord and I was about to pounce but Daisy got there first and he never went near one again after that. :laugh:

I'm a bit of a griffon fan, energetic dogs but love a cuddle and know when to have quiet time.

I own an Aussie and have owned purebreds BB's in the past, my Aussie has more issues than the purebreds and is extremely active to boot. Both types have been the highest maintenance dogs I've ever owned although worth their considerable weight in comic value. Not outside dogs to be left without supervision in my experience. You could maybe take your dog with to a pound or shelter and let her help pick out a friend?

Ah thast no good to hear & really after writting it I thought really I dont know enough about Aussies to say that, but I have had enough exsperiance with Bulldogs to know I dont want my partner getting 1 at this time. If the general health of the Brittish Bulldogs dose improve & the type go back to a bit plainer I'd love to have 1 they are real clowns thats for sure. Also have hearts bigger than thier smile even. I assumed the aussie had less issues due to it's plainer type & because I had assumed that had been the forefront of breeding Aussy Bulldogs up to get back to plainer & easier care Bulldogs. This has promted me to know go & do some research as prehaps I jumped the gun reccomending them instead to my partner. Although he is pretty set on a mini Bully now anyways.

I wouldn't recommend a puppy with a 10 year old dog.

Why????

Because you will have a mis match of energy levels, I've seen this a couple of times. Dogs end up being separated or the older one being bombarded by the pup. Bear in mind the OP works full time, so they will be alone together a lot.

If there are other distractions around it probably wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Well I stuffed up big time. 20 year old Mini Foxie and Kelpie pup. I work full time. OOPS. He puts her in her place when needed, which is not often.

Love this place - you've given me questions that I hadn't thought to ask myself.

I'll come back once I've given it some more thought on what I want in a dog. I also have to ask DP what he wants in a dog - should be interesting, as he's a farmer's son and has grown up with 'working dogs'.

But one thing I do know, is that I need 'training' on how to train a dog - before I think of bringing home another dog. I know where I went wrong with my male (RIP) and my female, so I don't want to make the same mistakes again - there is more to it than 'sit' & 'stay'

I think 95% of dog training is actually people-training, so you're not alone there! I'm sure people here will be able to recommend a good dog school close to you - I have for the first time in my life found one that makes sense to me, and it has made me a much, MUCH better dog owner. The best dog schools will give you information about how dogs learn, how to communicate with them, and differnet tools, techniques and approaches to work with your particular dog.

I know you're not looking for a dog just yet, but still, these things make all the difference. I'm so, so tankful for my current dog club! :thumbsup:

Ok I have given this a bit more thought. We love JR's, they are my heartdogs, but...

We would like something a little quieter and little more independant.

When I orignally got my 2 JRx's my XH worked nights and I worked days - so someone was home, bar and hour or 2 a day. Now I'm with DP we both work FT, so I don't think that's ideal for a JR as it will be on it's own (with another dog) for a min of 8 hours a day (not including the weekends)

So we would like something around that size (only because we don't want to have to fit a bigger doggy door).

Something that doesn't require grooming everyday - but doesn't shed a lot of hair (my Male JRx shed alot of hair).

Something that is fairly easy to train.

Something that will be independant, but also doesn't mind snuggling.

Ok I have given this a bit more thought. We love JR's, they are my heartdogs, but...

When I orignally got my 2 JRx's my XH worked nights and I worked days - so someone was home, bar and hour or 2 a day. Now I'm with DP we both work FT, so I don't think that's ideal for a JR as it will be on it's own (with another dog) for a min of 8 hours a day (not including the weekends)

So we would like something around that size (only because we don't want to have to fit a bigger doggy door).

Something that doesn't require grooming everyday - but doesn't shed a lot of hair (my Male JRx shed alot of hair).

I suggest a rescue dog with a reputable rescue group. Let them know what sort of dog you are after, and if they are 'reputable' they will lead you in the right direction and find a great match for your existing dog. (By the way, I would suggest another JR, but I am biased, I have 2 of my own and foster one :laugh: ) and if you are cleaning up one lot of dog hair, why not make it 2? And whatever/whoever you choose - Good Luck it sounds like it will be loved

I would still say a Tibbie they dont require a lot of grooming compared to many small breeds & dont shed anywhere near a Jack. They can be independant but also love sitting with thier owners. Also maltesse dont shed & dont really take much grooming if clipped a few times a year. I really like the aussy terriers too but they may be a bit more energetic than what your after but would get on well with the Jack.

I suggest a rescue dog with a reputable rescue group

What's a reputable one in Western Australia? I'm hoping to get one that has been fostered so that way I have an idea on personality.

Would love to be able to answer your question but I am not sure of any reputable ones in WA? Not sure of any rescue groups in WA actually.But if you do like a jack russell, I know Jack Russell Rescue flies them to WA .......

Maybe Google can help?

Guest donatella
I suggest a rescue dog with a reputable rescue group

What's a reputable one in Western Australia? I'm hoping to get one that has been fostered so that way I have an idea on personality.

Pop into the rescue forum and ask there, they will definitely point you in the right direction :)