Newcomer To The Show Ring

ZharaBelle

Hi everyone.

So I have posted off my first few show entries (mega nervous about these upcoming shows) and have a few questions regarding this.

Firstly after the secretary receives these will I get a notification of some sort as to the entry being accepted? Or do I just show up on the day.

And also when it comes to showing outfits I have noticed a few people have said on here to avoid certain colours as they can distort toplines etc against certain colour dogs. I have a dogue de bordeaux any colour suggestions to avoid.

And lastly I have tried so many different treats for my girl at show training and at home but am finding she becomes bored with them really quick or gets to excited about others and wont stand and wants to bounce around like the nut job she sometimes is. Without treats I have buckleys of getting her to do anything I have tried.lol. Any suggestions from all you vetrans out there would be truly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance:)

Dont wear colours similar to her .

Puppies will be puppies & its important they have character especially in a breed like yours,to many in the ring look very sour & there a plain breed & large & when dull & boring can make them unappealing.

This breed isn't a show pong but you can certainly make them look like they want to be there so foster that excitement .

Treats depends on what your using & whether your over using them .

To many people just keep feeding treat after treat .

Treats are there for special moments,shouldn't be used as a tease but not giving for simply doing nothing.

You can use a squeaky for other times of gaining attention in moderation & not to affect other dogs.

When pup is bored you need to take the slack & be the more interesting person & regain the control & interest of the pup.

This could be done by teaching pup to catch the bait whilst waiting,playing with a toy or giving a cuddle,anything other than playing .

Mine are always allowed to play BUT its on my terms .

The attention span is short but the alos learn quickly what is allowed not allowed so if at handling class & you waiting in line & pup really switches off take pup out & do something different & return to spot.

Some handling classes whilst teaching you what to do can also teach the pup to bored out of its brain from all the sitting about ,

The other thing is if pup has really switched off pup pup away & then wathc the class without dog which will also enable you to learn alot,watching others & what they do is just as important no matter what the breed is

Thanks so much for that. I think its my own nervousness that is taking over. She is a very boisterious lil bugger and I love her for it and I am expecting her to no doubt have a moment at some stage in her early days to run amuck on me in the ring.lol. I try not to give her many treats and at home sometimes I get her to stack with out treats which of course she does perfectly, at training it can be a different story. Like kids I suppose its just something she will with time get used to and as you said learn when it is ok to do these things. I am just going to take it as a learning curve and at the end of the day if she doesnt like it I wont be making her do it. I want her to do it for fun and I want to give it a go for a bit of fun too:)

With your entries, did you include a stamped, self addressed envelope? If not your entry numbers will not be returned to you and you will need to pick them up on the day.Just remember to include this in with future entries. If you did, you will get them back in the post in that envelop (though don't excpect them until a few days before the show).

Relax with your training and try not to overdo it. As mentioned, it is important not to make the dog 'sour' by doing too much training. Puppies will be puppies too. What I am for is 'just' under control at this age - make sure they have fun but basically do as you ask. Try not to fiddle too much when stacking (common habit - I do it too and have to make myself stop). I never 'train' for more than 5 minutes at a time.

The difference between home and show training is that you have more distractions. So work on getting her to stack for shorter periods at first and reward her for listening to you. Gradually she will get used to working with distractions just like at home.

Edited by espinay2

I second that if you are entered at Durack on Sunday come and say hi I am the only one with a Newfoundland in group six. I am happy to show you where you go to pick up your number and catalogue if you ordered one.

In Qld its not necessary to send a stamped addressed envelope unless they ask for it, otherwise they just send you back a recipe and no numbers. Most shows up here you collect your number on the day.

Have you brought a crate or anything else that you will need at the show? If you havant you can buy things you need at the show so just bring your credit card. ( I try to not bring mine anymore its way to dangerous.

Remember to have fun

• 10 months later...

Gawd How bad am I.........Almost a year later and I have met most of you (Apologies if I havent, I promise I am not a snob)and have learnt alot. Like some dogs hate the show ring.lol. Now have a sweet lil miss as most of you know and she goes pretty well.:-)