What Raw Meats Are Best

TIM_C28

Hi all. Hopefully my first of many posts. I just got a little english Staffy 11 wks old. Currently hes eating the dry food that the breeder was feeding him but after much reading I would eventually like to get him on a raw diet. I have read alot of people say different things so I just wanna get straight answers. Is raw beef mince a good place to start with him and couple of chicken necks? And as he grows what type of meat will be best? Minced? Diced? Can get from supermarket? Just trying to stay away from commercial foods. Sorry for the questions that have prob been answered a million times but hes my first pup and want to give him whats best. Thanks for any help.

Hi..

I think it's not a bad idea... however if you have never fed a complete raw diet before , I suggest you keep to a good quality puppy kibble , plus chicken wings etc - while your puppy is growing and making strong bones and a healthy body.

Trying to get correct ratios of minerals/protein and fats to correctly supply nutrients for baby puppies is a bit tricky ..and a premium puppy food has all the work done for you !

For everything you need to know about RAW feeding ..

there is a VERY long and informative thread if you CLICK HERE :)

oh - and if your pup has teeth ..he doesn't need mince :p

Edited by persephone

Pers is right, you can't just feed raw meat, you have to use other supplements to make the diet complete. I have four dogs and tried the raw feeding, it was difficult as it didn't suit all 4.

There is nothing wrong with a good quality dry food. Mine get dry as their main diet and RMBs and chicken bits (wings necks) a couple of times a week.

If you decide to go down the raw path you need to get it right so your pup gets all he needs!

I think we need photos of said pup.

Oh and Welcome to DOL. :)

have a bit of a read here and elesewhere about raw diets. Lots of info and lots of it conflicting! No straight answers really.

but, yes please source all raw meat and bones from supermarkets or your local butcher. You need to buy human grade. Don't just feed meat without feeding a calcium source ie bone. Otherwise you will do more harm then good.

I would keep your pup on dry food for another few months and add things to his diet like sardines, raw whole egg, yoghurt, etc. Make one meal raw chicken necks or wings. Steer away from weetbix etc, your pup does not need added cerals to his diet. A bit of left over pasta or rice is fine as long as it's not everyday. Same with vegies, just cook a tiny bit more when you do your own, couple of times a week. No need to get to specific at this time as long as the pups main diet is a good dry. This will give you time to research :)

ETA talk to your breeder as well, that's what they are there for :D and also, if you signed a contract, you might void any warranty by feeding different to what the breeder said.

Edited by Rebanne