Tail Chasing

Inka3095

I'm trying to discourage my 12 week old shiba pup from chasing her tail which she does from time to time and I don't want to allow it to escalate.

Last night my sister was over and observed her tail-chasing. I explained why I didn't want her doing it, but my sister informed me confidently that it was 'just a purebred dog thing to do' and there wasn't a lot I could do about it as I'd chosen to buy a purebred instead of a more mentally stable cross-breed...

Is there any truth to this? Do purebred dogs actually chase their tails more than crosses or is it (as I am assuming) just a misconception?

I can't help with tips on how to stop it - besides using a toy to distract her or something.

Your sisters comment made me laugh - no I don't think it's a purebred thing but rather a puppy thing... Nor are purebreds mentally unstable :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No I don't believe there is any truth to that!

I think you're doing the right thing though, tail chasing can become a real issue, you want to stop it immediately if you see pup doing it. I know some certain breeds can suffer more than others but I don't believe that has anything to do with them being purebred dogs.

Edited by Aussie3

I think just a quick AAHHH to get her attention and then offer a toy/distraction in a playful way should do it.

I have found it can either be a stress related thing or just a puppy playful thing, no big deal unless it escalates.

There has been a gene located in bull terriers that is linked to spinning, so yes some breeds are genetically predisposed to spinning, tail chasing, etc. Don't punish her when she does it, just redirect her to something else.

have you got any info on this? The last i looked into it, they had not yet known what caused it. Only that some bullies did it. I know a few spinners who were PTS, would love to read up on this

I haven't 100% worked out why she does it to be honest. Sometimes we'll be playing fetch or something and she'll catch sight of her tail and go it, spinning in circles until she crashes into something (I don't like her doing it at all). Other times it will be in the middle of her zoomies, and other times for no reason at all (perhaps this is the boredom one).

She's in an exercise pen during the day without enough room to get a good spin up so I'm fairly sure she can't do it while we're not watching her - I'll just keep up the vigilance and hopefully she'll grow out of it

My breed (shibas) are apparently quite prone to OCB/Obsessive type behaviours and things like laser pointer games are strongly not recommended. That's why I'm trying to stop this tail chasing before it becomes a really big problem - I also don't like the fact that life ceases to exist as she spins around. She will crash into anything with her body or head as she's going around at top speed which surely isn't a) normal or b) good