ash1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Willow

May I ask what Amichien Bonding is?

The training method invented by Jan Fennel ("The Dog Listener"). It's based on the belief that dogs behave in the same way wolves do.

but they don't... They have years/centuries of domestication

Yeah, I know...some of her techniques are quite sensible, and are more like your usual positive reinforcment techniques, whereas some are a bit more "out there".....Jan Fennel belives that ALL behaviour issues are due to the dog believeing it is the pack leader. Sime of it I like, and other bits of it i strongly disagree with. She is a very charismatic and funny ady to listen to talk though.

I think the investigation is pretty complete. Dominance is generally accepted as a relationship between individuals and a resource, not a personality trait. Some, rare, dogs may have higher value for almost every resource at every time, and be willing to establish priority access to each resource, and they may be labelled generally 'dominant' as a convenient descriptor.

Wild dogs, such as pariah dogs and dingoes - which are much more closely related to domestic dogs than wolves are - have a flexible social structure which varies according (mainly) to resource availability. Dingoes in NT with access to constant & plentiful resources in the form of human garbage tips have no discernable linear hierarchy, and trying to ascertain one only results in a very confused human observer. This situation seems to me to be far more analogous to a domestic dog situation than wolves enclosed together in a limited space with an unnatural age structure and unrelated individual (whereas their 'normal' pack configuration is far more likely to be a family group with an alpha breeding pair and sibs/ and some members of litters from previous years)

Edited by Weasels

Jan Fennel belives that ALL behaviour issues are due to the dog believeing it is the pack leader.

Which strikes me as incredibly disrespecful to the complicated and intricate social behaviour of our furry friends :(

Guest Willow

Some of the techniques do work....but as Puppy Sniffer says, it works for some, but is not for everyone (just ike everything in life really! )

I'm perfectly happy to believe the techniques work (not that I've looked into them), just pointing out that some of the reasoning behind them is based on pseudoscience.

(e - luckily dogs are much more interested in what we do than why we do it :))

Edited by Weasels

Guest Willow

I'm perfectly happy to believe the techniques work (not that I've looked into them), just pointing out that some of the reasoning behind them is based on pseudoscience.

(e - luckily dogs are much more interested in what we do than why we do it :))

Yes, I know that too :D

you know you are members of a internet forum not royalty and i want nothing to do with online fights pointless. But i wont pretend i did something i havnt. the info on this forum is great but the attitude of some seems to be lacking.

If we are so horrible then why are you here??? I am sorry about this venting but I am sick of people joining KNOWING to well what it is like here and how passionate people on here about their dogs and that there are some VERY experienced people on here and some members that have been here since the beginning and then chuck a hissy and insult everyone..

No we do not think we are royalty but people who have more experience then you and have been members FOR A VERY LONG TIME deserve more respect then what they are given. I am new myself only been here since May but I have not started a fight with anyone since being here or got into a heated argument throwing insults around. I am not even fighting with you right now I am stating my opinion about the respect level given to founding members..

Rant finished sorry :)

Ridiculous! Whether people have been members here 5 minutes or 5 years, people are entitled to their opinion and to post them unless they are breaking the forum rules IMO

you know you are members of a internet forum not royalty and i want nothing to do with online fights pointless. But i wont pretend i did something i havnt. the info on this forum is great but the attitude of some seems to be lacking.

If we are so horrible then why are you here??? I am sorry about this venting but I am sick of people joining KNOWING to well what it is like here and how passionate people on here about their dogs and that there are some VERY experienced people on here and some members that have been here since the beginning and then chuck a hissy and insult everyone..

No we do not think we are royalty but people who have more experience then you and have been members FOR A VERY LONG TIME deserve more respect then what they are given. I am new myself only been here since May but I have not started a fight with anyone since being here or got into a heated argument throwing insults around. I am not even fighting with you right now I am stating my opinion about the respect level given to founding members..

Rant finished sorry :)

Ridiculous! Whether people have been members here 5 minutes or 5 years, people are entitled to their opinion and to post them unless they are breaking the forum rules IMO

Someone could sign up today but have many years of dog related experience, they just haven't been on the forum about it. :)

NB: Aggression is not a disease. It is not something that is 'fixed', but something that is managed.

Yep, managed is the word. I know this so very well with my dog.

Edited by RL1