Need A Printer

Airedaler

Geez I have a question for Sheridan too. My understanding is that before you get something printed it needs to be saved as a PDF. My ancient software (Word 3) won't allow me to do it. Is there anyway around this? Thanks

There are free PDF converters available, I can't look right now as all software sites are blocked on my work computer, but you should be able to google for a decent free one. CutePDF springs to mind?

Google "DoPDF". I use DoPDF which is a free download and very easy...so easy a child or young dog (but over 8 weeks) could whip up a coffee table publication :D

Geez I have a question for Sheridan too. My understanding is that before you get something printed it needs to be saved as a PDF. My ancient software (Word 3) won't allow me to do it. Is there anyway around this? Thanks

There are free PDF converters available, I can't look right now as all software sites are blocked on my work computer, but you should be able to google for a decent free one. CutePDF springs to mind?

Google "DoPDF". I use DoPDF which is a free download and very easy...so easy a child or young dog (but over 8 weeks) could whip up a coffee table publication :D

Even without thumbs? ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well a month down the road from my first request for recommendations for a printer to print our Club book I am delighted to say I found one local to me and very very reasonably priced. One does have to wonder though I asked 6 printeres for quotes. One gave me a quote on the spot, 2 others within 24 hours another one week later (one of the suggested ones on here) and then tried to bully me into accepting their quote. They, like the others had been told we had a meeting to discuss this on a certain date and their uote was 5 days after that date. The otehr 2 I have not heard from again.

So, back to the printer that is doing the job. He had no problem with a Publisher file although he did say it was not his favourite program but as I was supplying a pdf it should not be an issue. There was a slight problem with the conversion to the pdf so they opened the publisher file and corrected it.

I'm the first to admit that Publisher has limitations BUT no one has been able to suggest an alternative that does not cost a fortune. I'm not going out to spend heaps of money to buy and learn and I am not going to buy a professional program. That would be an overkill.

Anyhow the upshot of it all is that the book will be ready this week and will be a most valuable resource for our breed.

Cheers

SueH

Hi Airedaler

I do our club newsletter in publisher, and then use the pdf converter supplied by our printing shop to convert it.

When I did the first one - I was doing the pages in A4 format and then "printing" them 2 to a page - which the printing shop sorted into the book format tho I don't know how.

Now I use "booklet" format in Publisher - and the pages are paired and when I print to pdf - it comes out in the order you want if you're going to print 2 pages front and 2 pages back of an A4 piece of paper ie 4 booklet pages on 1 A4 and then the shop staples two in the centre and folds it. Costs $1 - $2 per booklet for 300 booklets in black and white (more for colour) and that printing shop likes to keep clubs sweet. I really ought to put an ad for them on the cover somewhere. Tho nobody has asked me to.

The club newsletter has been done in MS Word but that drives me nuts as every time I try to shift something - the formatting get screwed. The copy of publisher I have - keeps hiding stuff if I don't give it a text box large enough to fit all the text. Which gets really annoying if I decide I want to change the font size... We do "large print" at the moment, because we have such a lot of old members who complain.

I think the pdf converter from our printing shop is free on their website if you want to try that.

http://www.abbott22.com/index.php

Hi MRB,

I have a pdf converter and basically I do the same as you by producing our quarterly magazine in Publisher. However, I then convert it and have been taking it to Snap to print from the pdf. I use PDF Create Assistant I think it cost me about $50 to buy. I do our magazine in A4 size.

I agree with you re Word. I could not produce the magazine in Word for love or money. Word to me is fine if you simply want to type and maybe add a photo but trying to place things and move them around is impossible for me!

Cheers

S

I used to do club news letters with a text editor on the apple 11e called Zardax - and then put it together with sticky tape - the special sort that doesn't show when photocopied... those were the days - when cut and paste meant exactly that. Stanley knife and glue sticks were high tech.

oops - my age is showing.

I used to do club news letters with a text editor on the apple 11e called Zardax - and then put it together with sticky tape - the special sort that doesn't show when photocopied... those were the days - when cut and paste meant exactly that. Stanley knife and glue sticks were high tech.

oops - my age is showing.

LOL I can remember doing that BUT I can also go back to the days when we typed up stencils and then duplicated them on the Gestetner machine then collated and stapled by hand. Someone always complained that they had 2 pages the same or one upside down or whatever. Also no photos available. The upshot was that there was a group of members who put the magazine together. Now it is one person.

Waaay back in the '70's when I did our first 2 Year Books I collected all the information typed or wrote on a mock page and sent it off to the printer who set it all and printed it. This time I did all and the printer simply printed from my file. The times sure have changed.