Pet Barn Selling Dogs And Cats

Just got back from Europe - visited quite a few dog clubs etc and they were all surprised to hear that pet shops here sell pups and kittens.

There is no question - dogs and cats should not be sold by pet shops under any conditions. It is the only way to start the change of public opinion.

Yep because we may be able to see the difference but the rest of the public are what will press for banning sales of live animals. Allow any to be sold and it muddies it up. If its not O.K. for dogs to be sold in pet shops then its not O.K.

Keep deviating when it suits you or it can be justified and people will continue to justify it forever.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one point I don't know if its been made as I haven't read everything but not everyone wants to go to a shelter environment for their new pet. For many people getting a new pet is a happy, good experience and yet the very nature of the shelter environment gives it that sad desperate sort of feeling because you can't take them all home, and for people like me it would be extremely distressing to have to choose one animal and leave the other sad faces there to an uncertain fate.

As Cosmo said its the screening process which will determine the suitability of the home, where a person bought their animal should be irrelevant as long as the screening is appropriate.

There is one point I don't know if its been made as I haven't read everything but not everyone wants to go to a shelter environment for their new pet. For many people getting a new pet is a happy, good experience and yet the very nature of the shelter environment gives it that sad desperate sort of feeling because you can't take them all home, and for people like me it would be extremely distressing to have to choose one animal and leave the other sad faces there to an uncertain fate.

As Cosmo said its the screening process which will determine the suitability of the home, where a person bought their animal should be irrelevant as long as the screening is appropriate.

Come on - are you saying that buying a puppy from a pet shop that has taken them from a puppy farmer would be O.K. if they employed someone to screen buyers? Are you saying its O.K. to buy a puppy from a puppy farmer as long as they screen them ?

Lots of people dont want to drive hundreds of kilometres to visit a breeder and see the environment a pup is raised in either and many breeders would prefer not to have to have their loungerooms inspected by srangers but this is what is being advocated.

No live animals in pet shops - regardless of whether they are rescue dogs or not and its up to the shelter to offer surroundings where people can view them just as its up to a breeder.

Come on - are you saying that buying a puppy from a pet shop that has taken them from a puppy farmer would be O.K. if they employed someone to screen buyers? Are you saying its O.K. to buy a puppy from a puppy farmer as long as they screen them ?

Lots of people dont want to drive hundreds of kilometres to visit a breeder and see the environment a pup is raised in either and many breeders would prefer not to have to have their loungerooms inspected by srangers but this is what is being advocated.

No live animals in pet shops - regardless of whether they are rescue dogs or not and its up to the shelter to offer surroundings where people can view them just as its up to a breeder.

Since this is a thread about rescue dogs in pet stores my comments don't refer to puppy farm puppies which are a seperate issue IMO.

Rescues need all the help they can get there are barriers to them that don't exist for most breeders, going to a breeders house to look at a pup is vastly different to going to a shelter the two cannot be compared IMO.

no it is a thread about whether it is right for pet shops to have any animals in them, and an in total agreement with Steve. As for the comment about you don;t want to leave one behind, well, that hardly hold any water unless there is only 1 animal there at a time. The whole it is OK for rescue / shelters to do whatever they like, since their animals have only come from deserving sources, and so therefore the objections don;t count is not realistic. Tell me of a breeder that would not be stormed by the AR masses and welfare advocates if they were to publicly announce they had only 1 days supply of food left for their animals they had there, and needed more food urgently or animals would starve, and yet a certain group here in Vic did just that, and then wondered why they were inspected again by their council - they would be the first to complain though if action were not taken against a breeder in the same circumstances, and yet they are agitating yet again that this council is picking on them.

We need to get away from the whole pet shops are wonderful places to get an animal, any animal, no matter where they come from, NO EXCEPTIONS

Since this is a thread about rescue dogs in pet stores my comments don't refer to puppy farm puppies which are a seperate issue IMO.

Rescues need all the help they can get there are barriers to them that don't exist for most breeders, going to a breeders house to look at a pup is vastly different to going to a shelter the two cannot be compared IMO.

This thread is about selling live rescue animals in pet shops and Im saying that if we agree to allow exceptions to no live animals sold in pet shops we will never get it to stop. Breeders have barriers that shelters dont have some live hundreds of kilometres from a city or airport and many of them are terrified of giving out their addresses because they live alone and feel vulnerable.

My point is whether these are valid comparisons or not - whether you and I see them as the same sort of arguments and justifications for sales of live animals in pet shops they are ones which will be made and any work done on stopping sales of live animals in pet shops is back ten years.

Where is the problem - take ex rescue dogs into a pet shop - promote the shelter and the dogs available and tell them how to get to them and be screened and purchase them from somewhere other than the pet shop - because pet shops shouldnt sell live animals.