What's Happening?

Well I am not sure what is happening in the planets for me but I hope it doesn't continue at this rate! This morning at around 7am I ended up with an Akita-looking dog bolting across to Tonka barking and nearly getting hit by several cars on busy Oxford Street. The dog had no tag and seemed a bit frantic looking for his owner i guessed. I ended up staying with the dog while a nice old guy who was the council street cleaner radioed the ranger...they were too busy and so the dog continued on with the street cleaner for a bit... I was not going to take the dog out of area, so it seemed better than nothing! He was a lovely dog but a bit scary looking, especially charging other dogs.

Then at 5pm today, driving home along Centennial Park an old white lab nearly gets totalled and is racing around in a freaked out, lost way. So I stopped and called him off the street...no collar, nothing. Opened the car door to get him in but he again started crossing the road and nearly getting hit, then ran along the footpath. A lady came along with her two dogs and I asked her if she knew of this dog. She said it lived a house or two down and (praise the lord)said 'oh i'll go and look for him' when I told her about the near misses on the road. I drove off to her finding the dog and walking him back to the neighbour!

Boy, it is so distressing to see lost, frantic dogs diving in traffic! I hate it and think I will carry a spare lead in my car from now on as I have heard others do on here. Had to get this off my chest as one is too many BUT two... :eek:

Yeah we always have a spare lead and collar in the car. I've seen a very frantic dog get hit and killed because it was so confused and running. And I've caught quite a few. Just recently (a month or two back) I caught two kelpies running like idiots across the road almost going under a truck. I also found a kelpie running along the road near wagga and took it to the nearest property which was about a k up the road and luckily he belonged there. It just worries me and after seeing the dog get killed if I can I always pick them up and either find their home or contact the council.

Edited by mixeduppup

I always have leads and collars, a bottle of water, a canvas water bowl and towels in my car. It is scary to see them running through the traffic especially when you live in the city and people are just beeping their horns as the dog keeps frantically running across lanes of speeding cars :(

Edited by stans mum

Spare lead always. Also most of my pockets have liver treat crumbs :o

Sometimes the SWFs are too tricky and fast, but the big dogs always want to be helped :(

Eta spare lead has to be the type that can be turned into a collar/slip lead

Edited by Katdogs

I was taking my daughter to an early soccer game one sunday morning when walking straight down the middle of a busy road towards us was a sheltie.

It was still a bit dark, and raining, and the sheltie was a tri colour, thank goodness i saw it.

Little tike tried to bite me when i went near it, so put a slip lead over its head.

I recognized it from the house opposite me.

When i took it home they had no idea it was missing :(