On Leash Only Beaches Near Sydney

Odin-Genie

I don't like taking my dogs to areas where there are unknown offlead dogs. They might be the best dogs in the world but I don't know that so it worries me.

However, I do want to take my dogs to the beach. Are there any on-leash only beaches near Sydney where people follow the rule (mostly)??

I don't like taking my dogs to areas where there are unknown offlead dogs. They might be the best dogs in the world but I don't know that so it worries me.

However, I do want to take my dogs to the beach. Are there any on-leash only beaches near Sydney where people follow the rule (mostly)??

Don't know if this helps but round here we have beaches that are off leash at certain times, usually 4pm - 8am. These are on leash beaches for the rest of the time. Not sure if that is how it works in Sydney though.

you might want to check out Umina beach, its up in towards the central coast. I am like you and do not like by dogs being near strange off leash dogs, but this beach is HUGE, and you can easily see any other dogs coming for at least a km each direction. Its not very busy either :)

you might want to check out Umina beach, its up in towards the central coast. I am like you and do not like by dogs being near strange off leash dogs, but this beach is HUGE, and you can easily see any other dogs coming for at least a km each direction. Its not very busy either :)

Thanks. I will give that a go. My dog loves playing with other dogs but after hearing so many horror stories I find it very difficult to trust strange dogs around my dogs.

Hope Riddick is healing well.

Umina Beach is pretty busy and a lot of off leash dogs. The only beach I have taken my two to is Nth Avoca/Avoca in the middle of the day. Although it is an off leash beach that is very busy early morning and afternoon in the middle of the day you won't see many dogs. The best beach IMO on the Coast is Nth Entrance. I don't think I've ever seen another person let alone a dog. It is a very rough beach though and not patrolled by lifesavers so I wouldn't recommend a swim. My beach where I live Terrigal/Wamberal is also dog friendly but forget it in school holidays, millions of tourists and dogs everywhere.

Umina Beach is pretty busy and a lot of off leash dogs. The only beach I have taken my two to is Nth Avoca/Avoca in the middle of the day. Although it is an off leash beach that is very busy early morning and afternoon in the middle of the day you won't see many dogs. The best beach IMO on the Coast is Nth Entrance. I don't think I've ever seen another person let alone a dog. It is a very rough beach though and not patrolled by lifesavers so I wouldn't recommend a swim. My beach where I live Terrigal/Wamberal is also dog friendly but forget it in school holidays, millions of tourists and dogs everywhere.

I've never seen Umina busy, for the size of the beach, I'll come across maybe 4-5 dogs the entire 2+ hour I am there, and thats on a busy day. Half of them are generally on leash too. Before I was working full time I would go in the afternoon on a weekday, so 3pm till sunset. And on the weekend, I'll go 2pm onwards. Same thing. Maybe i've just been lucky?

I've never seen Umina busy, for the size of the beach, I'll come across maybe 4-5 dogs the entire 2+ hour I am there, and thats on a busy day. Half of them are generally on leash too. Before I was working full time I would go in the afternoon on a weekday, so 3pm till sunset. And on the weekend, I'll go 2pm onwards. Same thing. Maybe i've just been lucky?

There was a dog attacked just last week at Umina :( Yes Umina beach is huge but so is Nth Av, Copa, Macs and Forries...you can see all the way to Spoon Bay. I have lived here for a long time and was just suggesting beaches I feel the OP may like to visit where there is not a lot of dogs around.