Apex Cream

I forgot to ask my vet this when I was given it yesterday :o My boy has seasonal grass allergies, and his armpits get very hot, red and sore. I was given cortizone tablets for when he's really struggling but the vet has recommended using the Apex cream which is an antibiotic, local anaesthetic and anti-inflammatory cream and as the first port of call as it's topical won't have the same potential long term risks that the cortizone tablets do. My boy is able to reach his armpits to lick and scratch at them and as soon as anything is put on there to stop the itching he licks it. Does anyone know if it's likely to cause him problems if he ingests small amounts of it? I'm only using it on his pits as they're the areas that get inflamed the most. He gets aloveen rubbed on his stomach and legs too but it doesn't really help his armpits that much which is why we ended up going to the vet.He's already very limited with his outside time, he gets max an hour every day during the week and HATES it so it'd be nice if it'd settle so he can go out a bit more.

Edited by Bundyburger

Sorry can't help you with the first one, but you could try a soft muzzle on him to stop the licking, till the cream get absorbed. I use a plastic muzzle on my young guy to stop him chewing on things he shouldn't when he cant be watched & he doesn't seem to mind it all....as long as I put a nice juicy treat inside each time. :)

Sorry can't help you with the first one, but you could try a soft muzzle on him to stop the licking, till the cream get absorbed. I use a plastic muzzle on my young guy to stop him chewing on things he shouldn't when he cant be watched & he doesn't seem to mind it all....as long as I put a nice juicy treat inside each time. :)

He doesn't like muzzles, but that's a good idea, I might try desensitising him to it and see if that helps, I have a very soft one here for our other dog that'll fit him. Thanks :)

He doesn't like muzzles, but that's a good idea, I might try desensitising him to it and see if that helps, I have a very soft one here for our other dog that'll fit him. Thanks :)

I think you have to get them used to the muzzle. At the moment, my young guy is inside in the airconditioning, asleep behind the lounge with his muzzle on. Doesn't mind it at all :)

ETA....these are on Free Shipping at the moment Cloud Collar

Edited by sheena

Ingesting small amounts of the cream wont do any lasting harm but it is best to avoid it at least for the first 5-10 minutes. The ingredients are absorbed fairly quickly. Distraction will hopefully be sufficient, otherwise you could try a soft t-shirt or similar. There is a steroid spray available as well which can sometimes be useful but it has no antibiotic or anaesthetic agent.

We have a tibbie with similiar issues. I have used Apex Cream which she has licked off on occassions. It didn't do her any harm but unfortunately, didn't help her situation as the cream didn't stay on long enough to work. I had the area around her armpits clipped to allow more air to dry the area out. I also used Curash powder as well as the cream and it has worked for us. I am not sure why but she is less likely to lick with the powder on (not sure if it tastes terrible or it offers some relief). Calendula tea (as often recommended on here) also helped ease the itch.Dreading the wet, humid Brisbane summer!