Processed Pet Foods

Lonk

Maybe i'm thinking to hard into this but we've started to train Baxter to sit stay and STOP BITING US :cry:

We use dry dog biscuits and a processed dog food milk stick diced into smaller portions as "Good Boy" treats for obeying sit and stay.

Curious i gave one a sniff and it reminded me of the Milk bottle lollies that i still like to eat. I read the milk stick package ingerdients list and was surprised to find no sugar content mass description.

How much sugar is my Baxter getting per package portion?

I use those milk sticks as a treat too (I think we're talking the same ones, blue writing with lab puppy on the front?)

They do actually smell nice, but the salt content is higher than the sugar content ... and really he isnt' eatuing much of them.

But if you're worried, try using fruit or veggies as treats, or raw meat. He's a pug, he will eat anything!

My pugs love fruit and veggies, they also sometimes get cheese as training treats, or we use their dinner as training treats (we feed as raw mix which I make myself, raw meat/fruit/veggies/etc).

You can also use non-food things as rewards, such as toys or play time, or pats, or just really happy noises.

Edited by minimax

Thanks Pet :D Baxter loves a peeled apple :thumbsup:

Shot an email to the product manufacturer in Un Zud late last week, still waiting for a reply :confused:

I'll let you know when i get a reply :eek:

Edited by Lonk

I never buy commercial treats. Sometimes my dogs win them & they come in handy for just sticking in my pocket, but I make my own. I have put them together on a web page if you are interested. The ones my dogs go nuts for are the VIP Lamb Chunkers lightly fried in oil & garlic & broken into tiny pieces. Anyway if you are interested, you can find my ideas HERE :)

I have NEVER had them slimy & gross & frying them up makes them very easy to handle & not at all gross...very easy to break into tiny pieces. I just make up a batch & keep them in the freezer. True...not entirely homemade...but then again what is???? A whole lot better than those doggy treat stick things you buy :) When I get the clicker out & the garlic fried lamb chunkers out, my two dogs give me their full attention. :thumbsup:

I was simply pointing out that you said you never buy commercial treats. I wonder what the VIP Chunkers would look like dehydrated? That's the comparison your making, a dehydrated treat to a hydrated one.

Edit: buying a dehydrator and making your own treats can be considered home made if your using base ingredients.

Edited by Inevitablue

I was simply pointing out that you said you never buy commercial treats. I wonder what the VIP Chunkers would look like dehydrated? That's the comparison your making, a dehydrated treat to a hydrated one.

Edit: buying a dehydrator and making your own treats can be considered home made if your using base ingredients.

I've considered doing that, just that dehydrating meats stinks soooo badly I don't think I'd cope with the smell :laugh:

This is a cut & paste from my website...sorry I don't have time to type it all out, but this is what I have said about treats, & of course it all depends on how serious you are about training your dog. My dogs do Agility, obedience & dancing so treats are very important to me

{quote}

Treats come in many different shapes, forms & nutritional value. Soft treats are most valuable for training things such as "loose lead walking" as you can treat the dog while continuing to walk & the dog can consume it quickly & then get on with the job of hanging out for another. If you use hard treats for this, the dog will most probably stop to chew it & by the time he has done this, he may have lost his concentration on you & the whole reason, for why he was rewarded. It is also handy to have some commercially dried treats on hand as well, as these, you can always have in your pocket, so you never miss an opportunity to treat your dog for good behaviour, focusing or a lovely recall. Be careful of dried liver treats as these, even in small amounts, can give your dog (not all dogs) sloppy poos.

Depending on what you are training, use low value treats for a good job & use high value treats for a really good job & when training something new. The treats in the picture above is one which I make for training my dogs & they consider it "high value". It is also good for delivering as a "slow treat" as you can take a few pieces & break them up in front of the dog (he will be looking at you & salvinating in anticipation), delivering it to him over about 30 seconds. We call this "silver service" compared to a quick treat which is likened to "take away". A low value treat, would be something of lesser value, like a good kibble or piece of a commercial dog cookie.

The base of it is beef sausage mince, but you could change this for a good quality chicken mince (not pet mince, as it contains finely ground bone & too much fat) or finely ground lamb mince. If your dog is allergic to wheat then substitute the flour for oats. Instead of liver, use a couple of cans of sardines. Change whatever you like but just make sure you keep the mince, eggs & flour (or oats) as this is what holds it all together. {quote}

The last paragraph refers to a "cake" I make, when I can get hold of preservative free sausage mince....ie...when we do our own cow. I have a dehydrator, but for most training a soft, treat is much preferred to a hard dehydrated treat.

• 3 weeks later...