Snake Advice

happypaws

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Yep she is in suburbia ... At the foot hills .. We know we can not be rid of them .. But more what to do .. And my argument with her was about the pond being an attractive water source .. Med size pond .. Fountain top trickles down rocks .. I think = snake heaven ? But I just don't know enough about them to be certain if that was right ..

I have already learnt they are territorial .. Which I didn't know

Has anyone got advice to add for me .. Mums cat was bitten by a brown snake ( he is ok after vet visit and anti venom ) ...... Also if god forbid he got bitten again .. Would the first instance make him weaker .. Or stronger in the case of another bite?? ( he is now a total indoor cat .. No more day tours outside after this !! ) I'm just wondering as I really know so little about snakes !

Just on your question about a second bite its the av that causes the problem. look up serum sickness. its very important to tell your vet if the cat needs av if she has had it before

Cheers again Raz ... We hope to never ever go through it again .. Cat has the grumps big time about no more outdoors .. But in his best interest .

Yes ponds attract snakes. My neighbour went to check hers a couple of months ago right down the garden where she hadn't looked for ages. It was empty but muddy & moist at the bottom & had lots of tiny baby brown snakes in it :eek:

Brown snakes have a territory of a few acres. I used to think if my neighbour over the road saw them they stayed around there. Wrong.

Encouraging Bluetongues can be helpful as they too are territorial and won't tolerate browns. Brown snakes can be on the move though, displaced from one territory, or seeking breeding partners. So even if not resident a sheltered place (nice garden bed or rockery) and water source can be attractive. Even short term. For shelter, food and drnk while travelling, who wouldn't stop by!?

Black snakes won't tolerate Browns and do see them (depending on the size of the brown) as either competition or food. Blacks are generally less excitable as well. But this doesn't help much with a dog of cat that finds the snake and wants to play or attack. It does however reduce the potential for accidental bites from being disturbed or stepped on etc.

Shadecloth or fine chicken wire dug into the ground a little can stop them coming under solid fences. On wire fences the cloth or fine wire needs to be higher as most snakes have climbing ability. But even a foot or so, with it going into the ground, makes it at least harder to get through a fence. Snakes are opportunistic and will pick the easiest access point. If you make it a little harder, even if not impossible, they will often find an easier route to elsewhere. :)

edit - can't spell!

Edited by Alyosha

I heard a Q'ld snake expert talking about how to deter snakes as much as possible. Others have mentioned some of the things.

First, he said to look at the food chain. .. like ponds/water features with frogs attract the snakes. And things like leaving external lights on at night, attracts the moths & bugs which attract creatures like frogs... which attract snakes. So leaving them off is good (until actually needed).

Also check any places around the home and sheds which has chook food or bird seed or whatever...that attracts mice, which attracts snakes.

He also said to avoid having piles of rubbish where snakes find security. And he said his idea of landscaping deterrent was to have a zone of gravel around the actual house, with no bushes in that area. And, like Alyosha said, use stuff like chicken wire creatively.

Edited by mita

Oh dear snakes again gee I loath them . and Have had to live with them

( moving to Ireland looks sooo good to me )

Water will attrack snakes as will birds chooks frogs rats mice .

Browns and blacks will and can do live side by side without killing each other

this I know as I had both on my acres at Rooty Hill

Blue tongues again will live on the same piece of land as snakes and will not send the snake a runnin' .

also heard that they like to live and travel in an area of around 4 k's

and I have seen a snake slither across gravel , so that didnt bother him

just have to keep the yards as short and clean as possible and your eyes wide open

good luck hope that puss will be OK

Edited by griff

and I have seen a snake slither across gravel , so that didnt bother him

j

The bloke didn't say snakes wouldn't slither across gravel.... he linked it with no bushes. Meaning they could be seen without anywhere to lurk. And creative use of chicken-wire to close gaps. Aloysha's got a good point that you try to make it harder for snakes to take easiest path... and also to lurk. As well as deter creatures along the food chain.

Edited by mita

Keep the cat inside. For both the cat's sake, and also the snakes sake.

Last night I came across this pic, the snake is a common green tree snake, they are totally harmless and non venomous. They will live around bushy suburban ponds, I have one resident in my yard, I'm very fond of it.

Check the pic, poor little snake has been mauled by a cat. :( Unfortunately the snake did die in the end apparently. Cats are best kept indoors unless supervised IMO.

http://www.projectnoah.org/spottings/13866466