Ear Question

Alibi

Just a quick question regarding the ears on my 14wk old Griffon pup.

In the last couple of weeks one of her ears has been wanting to stand up with the other staying in the correct position for the breed, now the ear is pretty much right up with her other ear still in the normal position. Would this be due to teething? Will her ear come back down into the correct position?

post-4191-0-90686200-1352371070_thumb.jpg

Such a little cutie!!!!!!! :)

Yes, it would be because of teething and both ears may go up, down and all over the place over the next few months.

If it will bother you if they don't end up how they are supposed to be it's probably a good idea to talk to your breeder and others who know about the breed about the

best way of taping or putting stuff on them to hold them in the correct position until teething is over, otherwise they may end up "wrong". Plenty of people do this, especially if they show their dogs.

I personally didn't bother with my Sheltie (pet only) and he's ended up with one up, one down :o

Edited by Simply Grand

Standing up at that age, I would expect it to stay up unless something is done now and keep it taped or glued until adult teeth are in. Even doing this, might still have the ear in an incorrect position

Thanks guys i have emailed her breeder and will see what he says. Thought it was weird as i have never seen a drop eared breed with up ears.

And every time i look at her i think gsd :) as i know their ears are tempramental.

Thanks guys i have emailed her breeder and will see what he says. Thought it was weird as i have never seen a drop eared breed with up ears.

And every time i look at her i think gsd :) as i know their ears are tempramental.

Thanks SG!

Is it very common for a breed that has naturally down ears to end up having them come up?

From what I've seen, yep it is fairly common for many

breeds to have ears go all over the place. I've not seen it in the "floppy ear" breeds like spaniels and poodles etc but really there is lots out there about taping/glueing etc of ears so it must be reasonably common. And whilst I have no problem with people properly doing things to keep the ears in "correct" position as long as they don't hurt the dog, I do feel it's an aesthetic issue rather than a functional one.

ETW - oh and again as a personal issue, I was planning on putting stuff on Riley's ears, as per his breeder's advice if I wanted the standard drop ears, I just couldn't be bothered doing it in the end, so i definitely don't have a problem with people doing it if they want.

Edited by Simply Grand