Hard Or Soft Carrier?

SunnyCoastCav

For travelling in the car - look at a harness. The only time I would recommend a harness is for car travel. They can buckle into the normal seat belt clip.

If he is crate trained, then I would look at a soft crate. You would want something large enough for him to stand up and be able to turn around.

I think there's been a bit of confusion here - I already have a pen for him at night and if we have to go out - I am asking about a pet carrier for traveling in the car, to the vet and for keeping him contained when visiting.

I didn't see suggestions for a pen?

I have read pros and cons of soft (fabric) crates, plastic crates/carriers (vari kennel or PP20/40 etc) and wire crates. Wire crates are NOT pens which I think you might be confusing them with. A puppy pen does not have a floor and is a larger area much like a babies play pen. Sometimes it has a roof, other times not. A wire crate is a wire version of a soft crate/vari kennel and is completely enclosed and usually purchased to be just big enough for the adult size.

Apologies if I missed someone suggesting a pen but I have read several times you saying you didn't need that and each time it seemed to come after a wire crate suggestion.

Dancinbcs gave you a link to a great wire crate that would have excellent air flow and would safely contain your puppy for car rides, vet trips etc. And if needed a light weight sheet can be thrown over them to cover them and make them more enclosed.

Guest Labradork

I think there's been a bit of confusion here - I already have a pen for him at night and if we have to go out - I am asking about a pet carrier for traveling in the car, to the vet and for keeping him contained when visiting.

Hi SunnyCoastCav

I think there's been some confusion because you mentioned a few times in your first post that you're looking for a crate and not a carrier ?? :)

Also, in my experience, the words crate and carrier are sometimes used interchangeably to mean the same thing, ie. those blue and white airline crates.

Don't mind me, I'm just a Linguistics nerd :laugh:

Edited by Labradork

Guest Labradork

I have five crates...a small plastic puppy one, a large plastic adult one, a medium sized metal one, a large metal one and a medium sized soft crate (made by Bono Fido).

Edited by Labradork

Five? For one dog :D. Sounds like my daughter and her dance stuff...three different types of footwear just for contemporary XD

Well I don't feel so bad about getting two different carriers now. Was hoping to save some money but then again, not in a house with dancing and a dog O.o

Guest Labradork

Five? For one dog :D. Sounds like my daughter and her dance stuff...three different types of footwear just for contemporary XD

Well I don't feel so bad about getting two different carriers now. Was hoping to save some money but then again, not in a house with dancing and a dog O.o

For the puppies/dogs I have owned over the years. You can never have enough crates :)

Edited by Labradork