Rectal Adenocarcinoma

shepherds

I've been there with the herbs myself, couldn't get the dog to take them so stuffed them into naughty things like cheese and even covered something in honey once ...

I'm sure it's that and not the other foods which does make it hard.

In July, Iggy Rescue took on a dog who turned out to have 2 kinds of cancerous tumours. We removed 14 and were told that more would come and we couldn't keep removing them and he'd only have a few weeks as it had most likely metastisised.

Our foster carer had 6 more tumours removed about 6 weeks after his other surgery(after much discussion and consultation and we said no more after that).

We sent carer and dog off to the All Natural Vet at Russell Lea in Sydney who prescribed the similar natural diet and herbs. Luckily this particular dog does eat them and he's the picture of health, 5 months later. No more tumours have appeared and we are all hoping for many more months. It's hard but give it a go, providing he's getting quality of life.

Thanks Dogmad, that is encouraging....any ideas on how to deal with 20ml of liquid.... I asked about pill/capsule form, but they have not proven to be effective... I have tried mixing the liquid into stock, cottage cheese, sardines, meat etc and no go. I honey could be a possibility as that might mask the smell a bit more???. But tomorrow I will try the ice cream....bit by bit....

Oh....and I should have added one very important thing in the overall scheme of things..... His blood sugar was up over 30 prior to commencing the vitamin c IV etc,.....and when last tested is now a very good 4.5.....

I could be wrong, but that in itself tells me his body is responding to the treatment and making the necessary changes and more importantly the cancer hasn't yet weakened his system to the point where we weren't able to get it under control without adding any insulin etc.

My vet was amazed when she did his last test...even to the point she made her mother (who is diabetic) come and do a finger prick test to make sure the result was right.... That actually did put a smile on my face.

Oh....and I should have added one very important thing in the overall scheme of things..... His blood sugar was up over 30 prior to commencing the vitamin c IV etc,.....and when last tested is now a very good 4.5.....

I could be wrong, but that in itself tells me his body is responding to the treatment and making the necessary changes and more importantly the cancer hasn't yet weakened his system to the point where we weren't able to get it under control without adding any insulin etc.

My vet was amazed when she did his last test...even to the point she made her mother (who is diabetic) come and do a finger prick test to make sure the result was right.... That actually did put a smile on my face.

Good news about the blood sugar coming down. I have never tried honey with the dogs but it is worth a shot as it was the best way to get down the foul smelling tea like concoctions that I had to take at one stage from brewed up Chinese herbs. The other trick I used was to suck on an ice cube first to deaden the taste buds. That may also work with a dog. For myself, I had to brew up and drink 2 cups of this ghastly stuff a day so I would cool it to tepid, suck an ice cube, quickly drink the stuff and then suck on a spoonful of honey to stop me gagging. Not fun at all but the treatment worked.

I am so glad I didn't have to use liquid with my boy. I hope you work out something he accepts soon.

Some good news tonight, Kobe had another IV vitamin C and while Im trying not to get ahead of myself, vet believes the tumour feels slightly smaller and tighter.

I can only hope that is the case..... He is certainly doing well in himself and weight is now holding...also another good sign.

Some good news tonight, Kobe had another IV vitamin C and while Im trying not to get ahead of myself, vet believes the tumour feels slightly smaller and tighter.

I can only hope that is the case..... He is certainly doing well in himself and weight is now holding...also another good sign.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: If the treatment works the tumour will probably not completely disappear but it should shrink and remain dormant. Fingers crossed he keeps improving.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: If the treatment works the tumour will probably not completely disappear but it should shrink and remain dormant. Fingers crossed he keeps improving.

Big Big Big :hug: to you dancinbcs......from Kobe and me

Depending on the quantity of the herbs you can get empty geletin capsules and fill these and then just pop down throat like normal worm tablet. If larger quantity try making into several smaller meals throguhout day and use small chicken cooked chopped finely and put smaller qty inside each ball, I find with my dog who will not take anything I make a game and toss the meatball and he woofs it down so fast he doesn't even chew.

Another option may be to mix with sardine oil (if he likes fish), this will definately disguise smell, and still add to another chopped meat he really likes.

Shepherds - we recently had a patient who was diagnosed with the same thing :( We fought long and hard for her once she was diagnosed and she lived happily for about 3 months after her diagnosis. She was one of my favourite patients and we've only just said goodbye to her a fortnight ago. She was still in good spirits right until the end, something we were all very glad for.

*hugs* I know how overwhelming this can be.

Depending on the quantity of the herbs you can get empty geletin capsules and fill these and then just pop down throat like normal worm tablet. If larger quantity try making into several smaller meals throguhout day and use small chicken cooked chopped finely and put smaller qty inside each ball, I find with my dog who will not take anything I make a game and toss the meatball and he woofs it down so fast he doesn't even chew.

Another option may be to mix with sardine oil (if he likes fish), this will definately disguise smell, and still add to another chopped meat he really likes.

Hi Zeebie, thank you for the suggestions, unfortunately given his size the dosage is alot (20mls of each) and its liquid, sardines doesnt cover the smell of them, nor has anything else I tried (injecting sardines, meat balls, cheese balls, mixing in icecream 1ml at a time, stock etc etc). The minute he gets a whiff of it - its all over and he wont go near it at all. Interestingly the other three dogs (one of whom has alwayus been extremely fussy) dont care about the herbs.

The gelatin caps are a great idea though and I will bear that in mind for future use.

Shepherds - we recently had a patient who was diagnosed with the same thing :( We fought long and hard for her once she was diagnosed and she lived happily for about 3 months after her diagnosis. She was one of my favourite patients and we've only just said goodbye to her a fortnight ago. She was still in good spirits right until the end, something we were all very glad for.

Thank you..... can I ask what kind of treatment she had?

I'll have to check with her case vet, but she was on a few different high strength drugs. When he comes from lunch I'll ask him.

ETA - Vet just walked in, this client actually had two dogs with severe medical issues, the adenocarcinoma patient is still alive, their other patient had a different type of issue was the one whom we lost. Will PM you with the drugs she's on.

Edited by Everythings Shiny

I'll have to check with her case vet, but she was on a few different high strength drugs. When he comes from lunch I'll ask him.

ETA - Vet just walked in, this client actually had two dogs with severe medical issues, the adenocarcinoma patient is still alive, their other patient had a different type of issue was the one whom we lost. Will PM you with the drugs she's on.

Thank you... the stress of dealing with one sick dog is more than enough for me, I feel for the owner having to cope with two very sick dogs at once.