Colour-coded Collars To Designate Temperament

Tempus Fugit

The average dog owner who believes their dog should be allowed to rush up to (or at) strange dogs probably wouldn't care whether the other dog was wearing a warning collar...

Personally though, I love the idea! And they are nice looking collars too... *grin*

T.

The average dog owner who believes their dog should be allowed to rush up to (or at) strange dogs probably wouldn't care whether the other dog was wearing a warning collar...

Personally though, I love the idea! And they are nice looking collars too... *grin*

T.

People talk about loose dogs rushing up and even leashed dogs making a nuisence of themselves and I never really have that problem or believed it to be an issue.......walking GSD's people tend to keep their dogs away from us, cross the road or gather up their loose dogs, but I took a neighbours Spaniel X for walk around our area a few times when they were on holidays and the loose dogs and people with their uncontrolled leashed dogs wanting to say hello were a pain in the butt. I had a young Boxer taking a lady for a walk rush up and jump on this this poor Spaniel's head and knocked her over, a Cattle dog who the lady leashes when she sees me coming with my GSDs, stands there like a stunned mullet watching her dog barking and posturing at this little Spaniel, it was a problem and the owners of these dogs didn't seem to care too much what their dogs were doing, I was shocked how bad it was?

Edited by Allywil

I think those particular collars are hard to actually see.

Personally I prefer harnesses with more visible writing. We have a nice one that has velcro patches that say "in training" and "please don't pet"

It's very obvious to people not to approach a dog wearing this.

Realistically though I agree with tdierikx, people who let their dogs run up to others aren't really going to care for colour coded collars.

I think they are a great idea, but would be even better if they were more common. As the article said, the conversation stater is probably the key, people may approach and ask, instead of just running up and patting.

Personally I prefer harnesses with more visible writing. We have a nice one that has velcro patches that say "in training" and "please don't pet"

Realistically though I agree with tdierikx, people who let their dogs run up to others aren't really going to care for colour coded collars.

Where did you get the harness from aussielover? I could do with one for my reactive dog that can be read from a distance.

While I think the 'no dogs' and 'danger' ones are best, I do wonder if the 'friendly' ones might invite too much from the general public who see it. Might be a bit of a risk when a usually-friendly dog is having a bad day and everyone wants to touch it because it's wearing the harness.

I think they are a great idea, but would be even better if they were more common. As the article said, the conversation stater is probably the key, people may approach and ask, instead of just running up and patting.

Where did you get the harness from aussielover? I could do with one for my reactive dog that can be read from a distance.

That company 'Dog friendly collars australia' actually makes harnesses too and I believe they just released a special Training one with matching leash.

This is their facebook page and they have links to their online stores

http://www.facebook.com/DexilFriendlyDogCollarsAustralianDistributor?ref=ts&fref=ts

I think its a great idea, as well as the three Caution, No Dog, Friendly collars they also have 'nervous', 'Blind dog' 'Deaf Dog' and the one I mentioned above 'Training'.

Not sure it will work on everyone, but if just one person pays attention to it and it stops an attack then it might be worth it.

I agree that the 'friendly' one will possibly invite people to allow their dogs to approach unthinkingly. I think that there are two issues regarding walking dogs. There are dogs that are people shy and need to be out and about to de-sensitise being around people, and there are dog with dog issues. I would like everyone to ask me first before approaching any dog whether friendly or not. I just think it is good manners.

Edited by Tapua