Dog Ate A Blue Tongue Lizard - Is He At Risk?

Latoya

Hi all,

I just wanted to seek some advice regarding my 6 month old Staffy. I was doing the dishes today and looked outside to notice she was chewing something out in the backyard. I walked over to the glass window and thought it was just a bone at first. I decided to double check as I had only just raided the garden for bones to throw. I see it is a dried up blue tongue lizard that she is chewing on. It was so dry it was like raw hide and she was trying to break it apart. I tried to sneak over to grab it out of her mouth but she is so fast and started running with it and as I was trying to get to her she had swallowed the whole thing! Now I am really freaking out that I will have to go to the emergency. Does anyone know if this is okay? My two staffs often kill them, but I just go throw them out as soon as I see them. Obviously this one had been drying out in the garden. Any advice would be great. I realise taking her to the vet would probably be best right now. But she seems fine and if I can save myself the $600 plus it will probably cost to her have checked and stomach pumped right now that would be great.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Latoya, I wouldn't necessarily worry too much at this stage, dogs eat all kinds of gross things :vomit: and are usually none the worse!

Keep an eye on him and if you see any signs of vomitimg or if he seems uncomfortable in any way, definately take him to the vet then. Just think, a dried up bluey - he'd have been thinking YUM YUM :)

Good luck and I hope he's fine!