Keeping Pregnant Bitches Cool

smisch

So Summer has kicked in here today :( First really warm day we've had in ages as my hands and feet tell me by swelling LOL

Our Girl is starting to feel the heat and with her size (7 weeks and ready to explode) its not helping, we've relented and let her outside under the house in the dirt when we're home but apart from that there doesnt seem to be any good ways to keep her cool that shes happy with. We're gonna have to limit her outside under the house time soon as she is nesting and we're worried she'll drop her bundle there which we wont be able to get to her.

Ive put the cool matt out and she refuses to use it :( we dont have an A/C to run and the fan is pretty poor.. currently shes stretched out at the front door enjoying the non existant breeze LOL

Any suggestions.. I know it seems like a dumb question but Im at my wits end.. would hate to loose the litter at this stage and the poor girl is just so pregnant and uncomfortable atm..

I wet sheets, wring them out then tack then in doorways. They will pick up the slightest movement or air and cool it quite dramatically. If she will sit in a wire crate or pen you can do the same, with one draped over the crate. In this weather you will need to re-wet them every 20 mins or so but it's worth it if it gives her some relief.

I wet sheets, wring them out then tack then in doorways. They will pick up the slightest movement or air and cool it quite dramatically. If she will sit in a wire crate or pen you can do the same, with one draped over the crate. In this weather you will need to re-wet them every 20 mins or so but it's worth it if it gives her some relief.

Thanks for that she loves her crate so will do that and pop her in the doorway :) the sun is slowl dissappearing so hopefully it'll cool off soon as well.. I spoil her with the ends of my icy poles and licking out the icecream bowl.. she enjoys it and its cool on her tounge :) Im a sucker for the puppy dog eyes

Ice cream can be a good pick me up during whelping too (between pups) so it's good that she's used to eating it! :D

She is known as pig and our other girl is known as fish.. one loves to try and get in the shower with you, checks out the loo as it flushes and the other (my pregant girl) is a pig even before having pups she stole Cauliflower off my plate one night simply as it was something to eat! she will eat anything and everything except her bikkies atm as shes being a fuss pot!

Bring on next weekend then she can drop her bundle.. lucky enough my boss has said I can bring her to work to sit in the aircon in the cat room but I'd rather not move her all over the place as Im worried about stressing her or catching bugs from other dogs around (I work in a boarding kennels.. its immaculate but you just never know) or better yet her dropping a bundle whilst shes there.. Im only gone for a few hours each morning she really only spends about 4hrs on her own atm so she should be okay..

Yes, fan blowing over containers of ice/water or damp sheets that the air blows through. Basically the same principle as an evaporative cooler. I have also resorted at times to standing with a squirt bottle of water on mist and spraying it at the fan (when it is going of course!! - you don't want the water actually going on the fan itself!) - the fan's air stream then disperses the droplets and it helps cool a bit more. If you have any show gazebo silver sides, you could also rig them up on the hottest side of your house to shade the doorway/windows by attaching it to the eaves and using guy ropes to peg it to the ground at an angle.

thanks everyone :) thankfully it's starting to cool off so she's a little better but will keep these for during the week as were supposed to have warm days.. bring on the 7th (her due date) reckon she'll go early as she looks like she's ready to explode

If you can afford one, the portable air conditioners are quite good. Don't get a Delonghi one but the others are fine and they don't need to be installed. The cooling only ones are cheaper than the reverse cycle. Also handy to keep the litter cool if you strike really hot weather with them.

I went straight out and bought one some years ago when the vet prescribed it for an oldie with heart problems. They were much more expensive then and I got a Delonghi reverse cycle one. The cooling function was fine but the heating didn't work in winter. After a two year battle with the unit spending most of he time in being repaired, I finally got my money back and bought a split system.

Go & buy a couple of new fans from Kmart. The pedestal fans are only about $10 or $12 each.

Aren't you worried about snakes under the house ? They are out & about heaps here now.

an extra fan is high on the List :) looking at getting ceiling fans in here soonish (difficult considering the house age) as far as snakes go under the house is very open and the dogs have lived under there in the year we've been here no issue, it's a rather built up area.. you can see from one end to the other sadly it's the only under cover area we have out back for the dogs as we've only recently had permission from the landlords to renovate so our other plan is some shade sails out back :) slow process for everything as I've been unable to work this year..

DancinBCs portable acs are out of the budget unless you can get them for under $150 money is rather tight atm.. thanks everyone :)