Considering Setting Up A Dog Rescue In Cootamundra.

I have a few people that have come to me asking if i can be involved in helping to set up a local dog rescue. I said i'd love to help, mainly in administration and public relations and occasionally short term foster care. The thing is I've been asked to source the information we'll need. apart from a 16D what else would we need to start one up? We have about 4-5 people who are dedicated.

There's actually no dog rescue in Cootamundra and Canberra is quite far away. We're kind of in a deadzone for rescues and the vet has been doing the cats and smaller dogs but there's no proper dog rescues and people often looking for dogs but scared of getting directly from the pound.

May I ask what you mean but "replicate what is already happening"?

There's actually no dog rescue in Cootamundra and Canberra is quite far away. We're kind of in a deadzone for rescues and the vet has been doing the cats and smaller dogs but there's no proper dog rescues and people often looking for dogs but scared of getting directly from the pound.

May I ask what you mean but "replicate what is already happening"?

The wheel has already been invented - LOL.

If you are deadset on establishing yet another rescue group, talk (as in pick up the phone) to those already long established.

I'd look at seeing whether you can set up perhaps an 'arm' of an established group, that can foster for their organisation, even if it's a Canberra based one that isn't geographically close to you. Particularly at the start. Being able to tap into existing expertise, networks, supporters, etc.. that's the kind of thing that makes a great rescue, or enables a rescue to do really good things.

While more foster carers and rescue is great, I do think that sometimes a better job and outcomes could be had if there were less 'competition'. Of course nobody purposefully tries to compete, but it's inevitable when everybody has limited time and space in their mind and budget for supporting rescue. It's just an unintended consequence - rescue takes $$ and time. If you can concentrate more on assisting dogs in need, rather than all the overheads and establishment issues and costs etc (and time is money! and effort that could be put elsewhere), the outcomes will be better for everybody.

Just my opinion, of course.

I'd look at seeing whether you can set up perhaps an 'arm' of an established group, that can foster for their organisation, even if it's a Canberra based one that isn't geographically close to you. Particularly at the start. Being able to tap into existing expertise, networks, supporters, etc.. that's the kind of thing that makes a great rescue, or enables a rescue to do really good things.

While more foster carers and rescue is great, I do think that sometimes a better job and outcomes could be had if there were less 'competition'. Of course nobody purposefully tries to compete, but it's inevitable when everybody has limited time and space in their mind and budget for supporting rescue. It's just an unintended consequence - rescue takes $ and time. If you can concentrate more on assisting dogs in need, rather than all the overheads and establishment issues and costs etc (and time is money! and effort that could be put elsewhere), the outcomes will be better for everybody.

Just my opinion, of course.

Very good idea. :)

When I ran GAP I set up a Townsville and a Mackay branch because enough interested people had come forward from those areas wanting to help.

It worked well because the branches were run under our system and had our support and resources. They were given training in how to follow the procedure, and I was able to be easily contacted to sort out any major problems. Good way to save money and to strengthen the exposure for a good organisation.

I'd look at seeing whether you can set up perhaps an 'arm' of an established group, that can foster for their organisation...

While more foster carers and rescue is great, I do think that sometimes a better job and outcomes could be had if there were less 'competition'.

Very good idea. :)

When I ran GAP I set up a Townsville and a Mackay branch because enough interested people had come forward from those areas wanting to help.

It worked well because the branches were run under our system and had our support and resources. They were given training in how to follow the procedure, and I was able to be easily contacted to sort out any major problems. Good way to save money and to strengthen the exposure for a good organisation.

Excellent idea, wise opinion and a good example. :thumbsup: And, yes, good communications to make it workable.