Cat With 3 Legs? N/d

Cleveland

Hey, just after any advice/experiences people have with having their cats leg amputated?

This is not our cat, however we may* be getting one (if she survives)

I was at working night shifts when i found a cat hit by a car laying on the pavement by the road, turns out another crew had seen her hit by a car a few hours earlier. She had run out in front an actually run into the wheel, knocking her into the air. They stopped and moved her off the road (the car that she connected with didn't stop) and thinking she would soon be dead they had no choice but to leave her (on their way to a job) She looked to have massive head injuries and not really moving.

I came across same cat 4 hrs later, alive but in a bad way on our way home to station. I rang the council, who put me onto the rspca emergency line...well 30mins on hold i gave that up. So once the truck was back i jumped in my car with another crew member and we went back and collected her. I waited for the vet to open for 40mins, all the while she was laying very still but as soon as you touched her very agitated. I thought she would be euthanised for sure.

She was desexed but not microchipped and no collar. Turns out she has a broken jaw and some spinal damage (front leg is totally numb, no deep pain sensation and paralysed.) However 4 days later she is still at vets slowly improving, however much to every ones efforts no owner can be found. We have tried everything and the staff have contacted RSPCA, AWL, councils, all the other local vets in the area, its been put on lost dogs, gumtree etc, no one has come forward.

The poor cat lay on the side of the road for 5 hours, my partner and i couldn't bare the thought of her not having anywhere to go to if she pulls through, so we have offered to adopt her if no one claims her. Sooooo we are looking at jaw being wired and amputated front leg. We have told them we would give her a loving home if she pulls through (no surgery until she is stable and they think she will have a decent quality of life)

Anyone had a cat with only 3 legs? Do they cope alright? Obviously we want quality of life here so honest answers please.

Edited by Cleveland

A friend of mine from another forum has a cat with 3 legs, one of which was also amputated as a youngster (can't remember why..) and he does fine. I've never had cats and haven't ever had anything to do with them, so I'm not sure how much more an impact it would have on an older cat. It could be that my friend's one does fine because he was just a little tacker when it was done. Their cats all have access to a brilliant outdoor cat run thing, so he's in no danger of being attacked or being unable to defend himself should he need to. I imagine that would be a main concern, otherwise?

I have a cat with 3 legs, he had a hind leg amputated before I adopted him when he was 9 months old.

He was also hit by a car.

They pinned his leg, but unfortunately the bone shattered around the pin so he lost to whole leg.

He gets around perfectly fine and jumps, climbs, runs like all the rest of cats.

He is a strictly indoor only cat (but as are all my others)

:)

ETA: THIS thread is recent and a lot of people have shared their experiences with animal amputees.

Edited by MavericksMission

My aunt had one for years, he jumped out of a third story window and lost his. Never worried him in the least and he ran faster than their other cat! They had to watch his weigh as he got older though.

A friend when I was younger also had a tripod cat. She was found near a railway line with it sliced off!! Lucky for her the wound had self-cauterised. She actually needed minimal vet care and lived for many years afterwards. She had a tendency to run in circles though... But was a real livewire.

Well done for picking puss up, and going to the trouble of helping out. :thumbsup: