Canine Dle

My elkhound had a biopsy on his nose to check for canine DLE (discoid lupus erythematosus) since his sore nose wasn't healing. The results have come back positive for DLE. I am meeting the vet this Friday to get his stiches removed and discuss his treatment. But does anyone have a dog with this condition? If so, how do you manage it?

The good thing is that this is very local and is limited to his nose.

There are a couple of different approaches but the cases I have treated have either been with topical steroid creams, or a combination of doxycycline (an antibiotic with immunomudulating effected) and niacinamide. Reducing sun exposure is also important.

There are a couple of different approaches but the cases I have treated have either been with topical steroid creams, or a combination of doxycycline (an antibiotic with immunomudulating effected) and niacinamide. Reducing sun exposure is also important.

Thanks Rappie. Does the nose ever get back to normal? Also, how much sun is too much? Can he go on say 30 minute walks when it's sunny?

A friend of mine whose dog had same condition after excision of lesion and healing has used 'black it' the show dog stick application on her dogs all pink nose and muzzle when ever they are going to be out and about, she says it is applied so thickly that it takes sometime to wear off, only disadvantage is when dog nuzzles anyone they end up with black marks on them. Do not use any sun screen on the dog that contains zinc as this is extremely TOXIC to dogs

Dog is in good company while not a nice disease to have to deal with the singing sensation SEAL had same diagnosis as a child hence the scarring on his face.

DLE is an immune system disease. Sometimes the nose can heal ie the lesions can close but the nose never resumes a normal architecture. The VERY BEST treatment is to totally reduce the amount of sunlight the dog is exposed to ie. the dog lives inside and goes out to poo and you take evening or night walks.

Ointments (steroids etc)applied to the nose are very problematic as the dog will usually lick them off before they can do any good. Sunscreens are no use either for the same reason and also you don't want to poison the dog. Vitamin B3 in conjunction with antibiotics seem to be the best treatment however they can be long term and the antibiotics are of the stronger kind.

Some dogs will respond very well and for others it can be seasonal or permanent problem.

Some success was had with applying a particular liquid dye product to the nose but not to open lesions.

Edited by Stitch

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. My dog has been on antibiotics and vitamin B tablets for about 8 days now and his nose looks like its completely healed. The texture is still smooth but everything else looks normal. I was so happy to see his progress. All the discolouration is gone. The black colour has come back. All the sores have healed. Wow!!!

I have kept him inside 9am to 5 pm with walks at 5.30 am and 7 pm to avoid direct sunlight.