Pug Puppy Help!

Haley1234

Puglvr are you saying that a pugs body condition should be judged by a different standard to all other dogs?

Pugs should be a bit pudgy, whereas most vets will see a bit of flab and go omgfatgetitoff ... so yeh, in a way pugs shuold be judged differently to other dogs.

Puglvr are you saying that a pugs body condition should be judged by a different standard to all other dogs?

Pugs should be a bit pudgy, whereas most vets will see a bit of flab and go omgfatgetitoff ... so yeh, in a way pugs shuold be judged differently to other dogs.

When Lizzy's new owners took her to a vet they were told she was too fat at 8 kg and said to get 2 kg off her - 2 kgs less and she would be half dead!

I like my dogs lean. I always look at other Pugs and think they are overweight. That being said I find it very hard to find a good balance with Alvin. He either looks fat or too lean for his body so Ive just had to concede and keep him slightly chubs - well IMO be is a bit chubs but other Pug people see him and comment on how fit and lean he is. :shrug: There is an elderly woman in town who pounds the pavement with her Pug twice a day. It is the fittest, leanest Pug Ive ever seen. She does look a bit odd though, I thought the dog was older than she was. The second you get them lean like a normal dog they look sunken. I know she's not suffering or malnourished, she is just really fit and the owner is firm with her diet.

It's weird, cos when I had my Bulldog and kept her lean, she looked lean and buff and in good proportion. You would think the same would apply with Pugs :confused: Alvin is about 6kgs I think?. He is a small Pug all over though. People who arent Pug people always call him fat, then Pug people say he's very fit looking and ask how I manage it. It's weird, cant explain it.

How is pudgy different to fat? Just thinking out loud here, a brachy breed you thought would be a breed you wouldn't want to have any extra weight on?

Slightly OT, but the breed standard calls for "decidedly square and cobby" (cobby meaning stocky, for people like me who had to google :doh: )

My 14 month old pug sits around 9kg, and sometimes (visually) I feel she could do with more weight on her, and she's pretty much pure muscle (Max).

So, no pudgy and fat don't mean the same thing - pudgy means puggy :D

I like my dogs lean. I always look at other Pugs and think they are overweight. That being said I find it very hard to find a good balance with Alvin. He either looks fat or too lean for his body so Ive just had to concede and keep him slightly chubs - well IMO be is a bit chubs but other Pug people see him and comment on how fit and lean he is. :shrug: There is an elderly woman in town who pounds the pavement with her Pug twice a day. It is the fittest, leanest Pug Ive ever seen. She does look a bit odd though, I thought the dog was older than she was. The second you get them lean like a normal dog they look sunken. I know she's not suffering or malnourished, she is just really fit and the owner is firm with her diet.

It's weird, cos when I had my Bulldog and kept her lean, she looked lean and buff and in good proportion. You would think the same would apply with Pugs :confused: Alvin is about 6kgs I think?. He is a small Pug all over though. People who arent Pug people always call him fat, then Pug people say he's very fit looking and ask how I manage it. It's weird, cant explain it.

I feel the same. I would go ahead and say I see heaps of fat pugs (and Frenchies), but I don't think I've ever seen an underweight one. Sid and Lola are lean, I prefer them that way. I already have enough trouble with Lola's breathing without adding extra weight to the issue. Sid's breathing is excellent.