Can't Find The Paralysis Tick

littlesev

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for my lack of updates. I held off on responding because G would get better for a while, and then he'd get worse. He has had shivering episodes ranging from a couple of minutes to 15. I also caught him sleeping while sitting - he never sits unless asked to - and while the vets who saw the video I took of him shivering said it was mild, likely normal small breed tremor, I became convinced he was in pain, stemming from his hind legs. So I went to Dr. Ian. He was the first vet who did a thorough check up on him and wanted to do a blood test. Without showing him the video, he noted that G seemed uncomfortable when his hind legs were being handled. He said we need to rule out Polyarthritis, either immune mediated or bacteria and we were given antibiotics.

We won't know the blood test result until later today but I'm preparing myself for the worst and did some reading on Polyarthritis. He just had his final C-5 vaccination on 29th Nov and had no reaction to it. If it's IMPA, could it be the vaccine causing his autoimmune to change? I read that that's possible. At this point, I wish it was ticks!! :(

While I wait for updates, what could I do to relieve his pain at the moment? He's reluctant to walk/eat and he's shivering still. Would glucosamine help or is there any other home remedy?

I am so glad you have had a decent examination .

Specific pain relief should have come from the vet .Was it not mentioned?

There is nothing really you can safely give for such a young and tiny pup.

Glucosamine and related things take a few weeks to have effect ..they are not 'pain killers' as such.

When you get blood results, then you will know what's happening, and can get the most suitable meds for him- poor little guy.

In the meantime ..give him a 'den ' ..keep him quiet and undisturbed ..and maybe a drop of rescue remedy on his bums every half hour to just help relax him a little , is all I can suggest .Leave water/milk/available until you speak with the vets again. he may need to be in hospital for a while in case he gets dehydrated ,or is in too much pain?

If it is bacterial, the AB's start working in 24 hrs ... Was his temperature high? poor little guy.

Did you get support from his breeder?

No, I haven't gotten in touch with the breeder yet. The vet just called to say that the blood test shows inflammation and high white blood cell count. While there could be other possibilities, polyarthritis is likely. The medication (cortisteroids etc) would be prescribed after he confirms the diagnosis and he would do joint fluid test on Monday. Meanwhile, he advised to continue with Meloxicam and antibiotics for now. He seemed more alive when we have people coming over or during short car trips and going outdoors, so we'll try doing that for a bit and let him rest.

I'm also a bit worried of the long term side effect of the medication and the potential liver failure. Does anyone have experience with Polyarthritis and the treatment?

He seemed more alive when we have people coming over or during short car trips and going outdoors,

while that's nice to see..he really is a sick puppy and needs a TON of quiet and sleep now .. think of it as if a toddler was this sick ..would you still take him/her to pre school or playgroup?

.Sleep and rest will be best for him - his tiny body has an awful lot of work to do at present, and needs its energy conserved. :)

Has the vet considered Legg–Calvé–Perthes disease? The main symptoms are pain and inflammation.

Osteonecrosis of the femoral head of young, small breed dogs (LCP disease) was first described in veterinary literature by Tutt in 1935:[23] he described the disease, as did Waldenstromin (1909) in humans,[24] Toy and small breeds, particularly Toy Poodles, Yorkshire Terriers, Pugs, Jack Russell Terriers, and Dachshunds can be affected. LCP disease is an osteonecrosis of the femoral head in small breed dogs, usually those weighing less than 12 kg. There seems to be no sex predilection in the dog as contrasted to humans, in whom an 80% male incidence of the disease is evident. As in children, however, the condition is usually unilateral, with only about 10% to 15% incidence of bilateral disease. The age of onset varies between 4 months and 12 months, with a peak incidence at about 7 months.[25] The pathology of avascular necrosis followed by revascularization and bony remodeling of the femoral head in the dog certainly suggests a vascular etiology even though the cause of the condition is not completely understood.[26] Hip pain is usually seen by the age of 6 to 8 months.[27] The disease is bilateral in 12 to 16 percent of cases.[28] X-rays are necessary to make the diagnosis and show increased opacity and focal lysis in the head of the femur, and later in the disease, collapse and fracture of the neck of the femur. The recommended treatment is surgical removal of the head of the femur, but conservative treatment (rest, exercise restriction, and pain medication) may be effective in a limited number of cases (less than 25 percent, according to some studies).[28] The prognosis is excellent with surgery.

Yes - IMPA is what we had and Ian was my treating vet so he is across it all and was fantastic in his care of it.

We managed Agus with very low levels of cortisone and also the other drug azo something. I know of a number of dogs on long term cortisone use. It is not ideal but it is not as horrid a drug as many like to say - and really it is about quality of life for the dog.

Dancinbcs, he hasn't though I've looked it up and this is weird to say but I'd almost prefer that to IMPA since LCP has a cure. The vet said he won't rule out other possibilities like hip, disc problems or infection just yet. Also, glucosamine apparently works for osteoarthritis but not IMPA.

Danois, I'm sorry to hear that and can't thank you enough for your vet recommendation. I agree. If it comes down to taking medication, I'd want him to have the least pain as possible, and at the same time try to keep his internal organs healthy.

I'm afraid to jinx it but he seems to improve after the second antibiotic + meloxicam combo.