Can't Find The Paralysis Tick

littlesev

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be dousing him in a Permoxin rinse (kills ticks on contact) and frankly I'm surprised the vet let him go if she suspected a tick.

Yeah, me too.

I'd probably be taking him to another vet as soon as possible.

The vet really should have kept him in if she suspected a tick, and should have done more than a quick look for it also.

All the best, I hope it's nothing but you just can't take risks with the little buggers.

Also double check right up underneath the stoppers on his front legs. Another fav spot for ticks. I agree there is no better way to check for them than with your finger tips. I am another that is suprised the vet let you take him home. I would maybe trying another vet as well asap if he is still showing signs of a tick.

A few googled pages for you to read , as a matter of urgency .

hope they are helpful for you.

Click HERE this is a D O L thread , recent.

Click HERE

click HERE

Thanks Persephone and everyone else :) I've been spending the day reading more on this so I really appreciate the info.

He has started moving about - albeit slower than usual and hasn't tried to chew the carpet. He's also eaten a bit of chicken broth and hopefully he won't vomit again. No more fever / shivering and now he's resting. I'm really hoping that this is just a bad case of fever.

I've rechecked for ticks several times. I guess it's possible that the tick dropped off / he ate it but we'll see what the other vet says tomorrow. There's also the question of finding a really good vet in Sydney, but that's a topic for another day.

I would be dousing him in a Permoxin rinse (kills ticks on contact)

This!! You will be doubling up on the same chemical (advantix) so some advise against it but I did it for years with no problems. I'd be doing it right now if I suspected a tick. The main thing right now is to keep him quiet. Even if you find a tick and pull it off they can show symptoms for a week or so after so the dog should be kept quiet for this time frame. They are sneaky little buggars and could be down his ear canal, up his butt, in his gum etc etc.

Where abouts in Sydney are you?

Eastwood. My experiences so far has been with those who push me to buy brands they promote or can't get me and my dog out fast enough after 5 min consult.

Then Ian is 15 mins from you. I drive 45mins in light traffic to get to him - as do a few others I know.

I've never had anything pushed on me and Ian spends as much time as is needed. He does not stuff around with unnecessary tests and procedures and is a genuine animal lover. My dog gets excited when he realizes he is going to the vet and let's Ian do anything he wants. His vet nurse is a member here on DOL too.

In mouth, around the lips and in ears, are a common places too my vet tells me.

A vet once told me that 80% of ticks he found on dogs were forward of the shoulders.

That's what we were always told too, apparently from them sticking their heads into shrubs and bushes for sniffing stuff?

Just want to update that it's not tick!! :thumbsup: Possibly that's why he was sent home without antiserum. I hate to say this but could it be perhaps to sell tick meds? :(

Anyway. He's slowly becoming active again and has started eating his regular portion, pooping and most importantly, chewing our stuffs. He still shivers sometimes but I'm told that it's either because of the cold or small dog thing. Either way the shivering stops once I get him an extra blanket and feed him.

I will go to Dr. Ian next time we are due for a vet visit. Will also get him insured. For some silly reason, I wanted to wait until he's 6 months old to get him registered and insured at the same time. Big mistake since this one sickness already costs half year's worth of insurance. Plus, after hours vet consult is so expensive and he seems to get sick just as the vet is closed. Thanks for all your wishes folks. It has really helped a lot :)

Just want to update that it's not tick!! :thumbsup: Possibly that's why he was sent home without antiserum.

If a dog needs antiserum they have to stay at the vet. Just so you know for future reference. The serum can make them feel very sick.

Just want to update that it's not tick!! :thumbsup: Possibly that's why he was sent home without antiserum. I hate to say this but could it be perhaps to sell tick meds? :(

Anyway. He's slowly becoming active again and has started eating his regular portion, pooping and most importantly, chewing our stuffs. He still shivers sometimes but I'm told that it's either because of the cold or small dog thing. Either way the shivering stops once I get him an extra blanket and feed him.

I will go to Dr. Ian next time we are due for a vet visit. Will also get him insured. For some silly reason, I wanted to wait until he's 6 months old to get him registered and insured at the same time. Big mistake since this one sickness already costs half year's worth of insurance. Plus, after hours vet consult is so expensive and he seems to get sick just as the vet is closed. Thanks for all your wishes folks. It has really helped a lot :)

Plus whatever he was diagnosed with, will now likely be excluded from his insurance and he won't be covered for anything to do with that in the future.

Glad it wasn't a tick though, but don't feed him every time he shivers or he will learn that looking sad and cold is a pretty good way to get get food ;)