Bee Stings

Mojo was stung by a bee (we think) this arvo in our garden. I found what looked like the stinger in his foot and pulled it out. He made a big deal out of it, but he is a very sooky dog at the best of times. If it was a weekday I'd ring the vet but seeing as it's Sunday I though I'd spin it by you lot. Should I be worried? should I do anything? He's on his bed licking it now.

I found what looked like the stinger in his foot and pulled it out. He made a big deal out of it,

well, yes..so do I!!! It hurts :(

It will hurt for a while .. unless his foot shows signs of swelling .. Don't worry too much :) Give him something absolutely delicious ..go for a car`ride .. just to help make him feel better ...

Thanks so much for a quick response pers :)

I did a search on here before and got all this stuff about allergic reactions, dogs passing out, vomiting ect and of course I panicked. He's still licking it and it seems slightly swollen but I remember my last bee sting swelled up too, but I will keep a close eye in it.

Most dogs are fine and don't have a reaction (other than it hurts)..

However be aware that if he chases them and gets stung in the mouth or on the face, it can be a whole different story.

If stung on the face, watch him for a few minutes and if he is going to have a reaction you will see swelling and he may start panting - get to the vet, get someone to call the vet and tell them you are coming in with a dog having a reaction to a bee sting.

Lucky for us we live only minutes from our vet.

The first time Ollie was stung, it took all of about 15 minutes in total before he had passed out, his tongue was blue and he stopped breathing for a few seconds as well..

I got bitten by a bee on my back last weekend. I can confirm that it was very painful. I got relief by icing it numb the area. Your dog may not appreciate this at first but it is worth a try. Dogs hide pain well but I wouldn't be surprised if he was limping for the next day or two.

The fact that it was not near an airway is a good point.