Just Sent An Email

Bilbo Baggins

I saw the below article on a news flash and decided to email Lynne Bradshaw..

I am very passionate about have the original microchipper's details maintained on the database and suggested that she lobby for this occur.

RSPCA turns into political animal

Rhianna King, The West AustralianNovember 19, 2012, 5:01 am

The head of the RSPCA has pledged to make animal welfare an election issue, claiming she is shocked at the number of animals still being mistreated in Australia.

The animal welfare group yesterday launched its Political Animal campaign during an open day at its Malaga headquarters.

The campaign will focus on live exports, battery hens and backyard dog breeding.

RSPCA president Lynne Bradshaw said dogs were suffering needlessly because of misguided backyard breeders.

"Many breeding dogs live in horrendous conditions without adequate food, shelter, veterinary care and love," she said. "RSPCA has current court cases under way involving backyard breeders."

She called for a breeder registration system so all dogs could be traced back to the breeder.

"It amazes me that there's such a consistent number of animals being mistreated," Ms Bradshaw said. "You would think as we become more educated as a community that it wouldn't happen, but I'm sorry to say it does."

The RSPCA is bracing for an influx of unwanted animals in the festive season. To donate, go to

I saw the below article on a news flash and decided to email Lynne Bradshaw..

I am very passionate about have the original microchipper's details maintained on the database and suggested that she lobby for this occur.

RSPCA turns into political animal

Rhianna King, The West AustralianNovember 19, 2012, 5:01 am

The head of the RSPCA has pledged to make animal welfare an election issue, claiming she is shocked at the number of animals still being mistreated in Australia.

The animal welfare group yesterday launched its Political Animal campaign during an open day at its Malaga headquarters.

The campaign will focus on live exports, battery hens and backyard dog breeding.

RSPCA president Lynne Bradshaw said dogs were suffering needlessly because of misguided backyard breeders.

"Many breeding dogs live in horrendous conditions without adequate food, shelter, veterinary care and love," she said. "RSPCA has current court cases under way involving backyard breeders."

She called for a breeder registration system so all dogs could be traced back to the breeder.

"It amazes me that there's such a consistent number of animals being mistreated," Ms Bradshaw said. "You would think as we become more educated as a community that it wouldn't happen, but I'm sorry to say it does."

The RSPCA is bracing for an influx of unwanted animals in the festive season. To donate, go to

There it is, if anyone thinks they will actually follow through, I hate to tell you, Santa Claus isn't real. :laugh:

Edited by mantis

The UK has a Sale of Dogs law (1999) which requires that dogs have an Identification Tag which gives their date of birth & the number allocated to the breeding establishment where they were born. I think puppies/dogs can only be sold if they have such a tag. Maybe they've updated it to be a microchip?

But I think that Regulation refers to 'licensed breeders' who've been allocated that establishment number.

I'm only guessing but maybe there's still a gap in the UK where backyard breeders with just few or couple of dogs, don't fall into the category which requires a licence. But, frankly just 2 or 4 dogs can be kept in as horrendous a situation as 20 dogs.

I wonder if the RSPCA in Australia has looked at the UK system to see if there's been any benefits & if there's anything worth taking...and anything worth improving?

Edited by mita

Law here in QLD is; if offered for sale or give away, dogs and cats must be micro-chipped first. Such a useless law IMO unless they find a way to enforce it. There are tonnes of animals that aren't being chipped on fb groups....why can't they have someone checking these pages? Annoys me to no end... And I dare say that the puppy farmers are not as rampant as the average joe - backyard breeder

How would it be updated if the breeder moves?

The UK has a Sale of Dogs law (1999) which requires that dogs have an Identification Tag which gives their date of birth & the number allocated to the breeding establishment where they were born. I think puppies/dogs can only be sold if they have such a tag. Maybe they've updated it to be a microchip?

But I think that Regulation refers to 'licensed breeders' who've been allocated that establishment number.

I'm only guessing but maybe there's still a gap in the UK where backyard breeders with just few or couple of dogs, don't fall into the category which requires a licence. But, frankly just 2 or 4 dogs can be kept in as horrendous a situation as 20 dogs.

I wonder if the RSPCA in Australia has looked at the UK system to see if there's been any benefits & if there's anything worth taking...and anything worth improving?

This is only true for dogs who are sold in petshops which isn't very many these days.

How would it be updated if the breeder moves?

This is only true for dogs who are sold in petshops which isn't very many these days.

Hopefully they maintain something, email, mobile.