What Breed

DobieMum

I wouldn't recommend a stafford as a good agility prospect on a weight for height basis. Sure, some do it but you'd struggle to maintain soundness in a lot of dogs.

Frankly, as others have said, you won't keep any pup sound if it free runs with your Dobermanns

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't recommend a stafford as a good agility prospect on a weight for height basis. Sure, some do it but you'd struggle to maintain soundness in a lot of dogs.

The ones I see doing well (and some are owned by friends) are Stafford crosses, not purebreeds. Some of them are lightning fast and have no self preservation :laugh:

For a junior handler, I think it would be hard to go past a Papillon. Those dogs go like stink!

Having had to assist two youngsters to get a strong, wayward SBT back home yesterday, I suggest that a dog your daughter can physically control is crucial.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I believe the daughter is tall, HW? And do you think that a Papillon would be a little fragile for dobe games?

Here are a few - subject to further info from their breeders

Fox Terrier (short haired)

Spitz - Finnish, German (some grooming, but not difficult)

Welsh Springer Spaniel

I know nothing about them, but Manchester Terrier?

Edited by Jed

I believe the daughter is tall, HW? And do you think that a Papillon would be a little fragile for dobe games?

Absolutely, unless supervised.

But they'd mix it up given appropriate supervison. Frankly anything smaller than a Dobe is going to have trouble coping with thir rough housing unsupervised.

Here are a few - subject to further info from their breeders

Fox Terrier (short haired) -

Spitz - Finnish, German (some grooming, but not difficult)

Welsh Springer Spaniel

FT - way too straight in front IMO for sustained jumping and not an easy job for a junior to train.

Spitz - Ditto on the training.

WSS - hard to come by, some are longer in back than leg - not a great agiity shape.

I agree with the advice about going to an agility trial and seeing the dogs that are competing. Its fast and tight on courses these days and if the daughter wants a competitive dog, then breed choice (and breed type) needs to reflect what's doing well. I think most juniors would do better starting small but a taller child would have more options.

Absolutely if she wants a top level agility dog then it's hard to go past the herding breeds- border collies,, kelpies, Aussies etc.

She can still do very well with other breeds especially if it's her first agility dog (that she trains).

There is a young girl in nsw that does very well with a staffy.

Many times in local comps it's the slower, steadier dogs that actually win.

A very fast, driver dog may not be ideal for a junior handler unless she's very experienced and dedicated.

I guess it depends whAt her aims are...

A GSP may also suit, with many of the females being smallish (around 23kg). They are a biddable and athletic breed and could withstand the dobes pretty well.

Whippets do well in agility and lure coursing so could be ideal. Not sure how they would go with the dobes?

Labs ate very easy to train, but may not take her to the top levels of agility (although there are certainly successful masters labs around, that do very well locally )

Surely the dobes could be taught to play gentle? my lab is always more gentle with smaller dogs, and adapts her play style according to the individual dog.

For a smaller dog, I see some Shelties that are very quick, though I would research breeders and lines if going that route. Probably not going to appreciate Dobe play though.

For the bigger dogs, the gundogs would probably cope well with the Dobes - Vizsla or GSP?

My experience with Kelpies shows me that they do not appreciate in your face rough style play.

For a smaller dog, I see some Shelties that are very quick, though I would research breeders and lines if going that route. Probably not going to appreciate Dobe play though.

For the bigger dogs, the gundogs would probably cope well with the Dobes - Vizsla or GSP?

My experience with Kelpies shows me that they do not appreciate in your face rough style play.

yep! my kelpies take it quite personally if they get pushed around too much.

I did wonder about the Fox Terrier and the shoulder/forearm construction, HW. There are Welsh Spaniels competing successfully in agility.

I think a GSP would be too "wild". Are they successful at agility? Might as well have a dobe as far as size is concerned. Vizla's are not for everyone either, need a lot of training, and perhaps a bit much for a child.

Shelties are good,but there is grooming and probably not big/robust enough for dobes.

Both my Border Collies hate rough, in your face play. They back off very quickly or avoid it if at all possibile.

BC's excel at pretty much any dog sport/obedience, dog dancing & yes the sky is the limit with them in the right experienced,mature hands.

Mixing with a Dobe may also be risky though imho

Edited by BC Crazy

There are successful GSPs in agility.

Personally, I think anything that is going to appreciate the dobe playing style is going to be a handful for a child to train. Maybe a compromise in one or both areas will need to be made. Of the herding breeds, Aussies seem to like a more rough play style than the others from what I have seen.

Personally, I think anything that is going to appreciate the dobe playing style is going to be a handful for a child to train. Maybe a compromise in one or both areas will need to be made. Of the herding breeds, Aussies seem to like a more rough play style than the others from what I have seen.

That's been my observation too - at training, generally the kelpies are all fixated on a ball/each other, the bords are hanging out with their owner and the Aussies are running around playing!

Edited by TheLBD

I think Shelties are great dogs for child handlers but I'd be very worried about one getting hurt with the dobes. Mine plays "rough" with my Aussie but I can see that the Aussie is holding herself back and watching where she lands and where her feet got when she's playing with him compared to when she plays with bigger proper rough-playing dogs.

Is she a kid who wants to play a bit of agility with her pet, or a dedicated dog sports person? Just about any sound dog can do agility, she wouldn't need one who could do well (lots of drive etc) unless she is a true enthusiast of the sport. A dog with a high drive and work ethic is a lot of work....personally I'd recommend a far more "forgiving" dog for a learner.

If it wasnt for the doves I'd suggest a cav,

That's been my observation too - at training, generally the kelpies are all fixated on a ball/each other, the bords are hanging out with their owner and the Aussies are running around playing!

That pretty much sums up the three breeds and not all of them are high drive. A nice show line dog with the right attitude, of any of those breeds can be easily trained to be a very successful agility dog even if it isn't the fastest. High drive isn't necessary in a dog with the right temperament as it will simply do whatever the owner trains it to. It is just a matter of getting the right puppy from a litter.

Frankly, as others have said, you won't keep any pup sound if it free runs with your Dobermanns

The tone of your posts suggest you don't think very highly of the SBT.

That's o'k, not everyone likes every breed.

But you comments regarding height to weight show you don't know enough about the breed to comment on them at all.

Look & learn.

But you comments regarding height to weight show you don't know enough about the breed to comment on them at all.

Look & learn.

Kinda have to agree here. (And so glad someone put up the clip of my old breed club :))

I was just about to say - what Staffords have you been observing Haredown Whippets? :) Height to weight? Really? :)

I can name several Staffords that have gained top agility titles.

But I have to agree with Sandra777. A Stafford probably wouldn't be the best choice in this particular case.

Look & learn.

Kinda have to agree here. (And so glad someone put up the clip of my old breed club :))

I was just about to say - what Staffords have you been observing Haredown Whippets? :) Height to weight? Really? :)

I can name several Staffords that have gained top agility titles.

But I have to agree with Sandra777. A Stafford probably wouldn't be the best choice in this particular case.

Did you listen to the commentary?

That was very interesting.

Most, if not all dogs live in multi dog homes, & not just staffies only homes.

What would be of interest to the O.P. is one lives with a dobermann & two chihuahuas, interesting combination.

Another was usually handled by an eleven year old girl who was unavailable on that day.

As a staffy person you must have been impressed by Mouse, the white boy with the black eye patch. He has junior warrants in both agility & conformation.

A little girl, Mia from memory, is a member of GB's agility team.

Not bad for a breed ''unsuitable'' for agility.

There was a couple of oldies in there also, both past ten. Bloody marvellous.

Plus three or four rescues.

edit.

Forgot to mention.

One has been trained as a gundog & has featured in a couple of gundog mags.

Like I said earlier.

A foremost all rounder is the SBT.

Edited by jerry lee