What Breed

DobieMum

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tessies Tracy.

Great vids.

Helped me prove my point, again, whether you meant to or not. Thanks for that.

I never reply to the "what breed should I get for a pet'' threads by recommending staffies. ( I am a staffy person & happily so :o) old school I guess)

This was an exception due to the variety of challenges. & the suggestion by a previous poster that I follow up on.

I thought then as I think now the staffy is a good choice to get the jobs required done.

Firstly, as I stated earlier, it is my experience a staffy introduced as puppy will bond with whatever other animals are already there.

Secondly, it is a doggy home with a definate goal for the dog & I figured with the subsequent early training the dog would bond with the young girl & be easily managed by her because of the regular training. When I had plans for agility the dog had to reach a certain level of obedience before the club would allow it to start agility training.

Next, believing in the puppy bonding I mentioned earlier I don't believe there would be an issue with the three dogs living together.

The reason I kept on is more to do with the ridiculous reasons given why the breed isn't suitable for agility.

Because they are three times heavier than other breeds of a comparable height...

Their constuction is all wrong, because their toes point slighty out at rest their pasterns wont stand up to the jumping & landing.

Their chest are too wide or too narrow, I'm not sure which it was, both are equally ridiculous anyhow, to manage the beam.

The jumps are too high for them.

Well the vids have conclusively dispelled all those misnomers.

I obtained my first staffy in 1985.

He lived with my one rottie first & then a second later, without any trouble.

In fact he & my rottie male were inseparable.

The rotty died in 1996, the staffy a year later. my other rotty a year after that.

I had a break from dogs for a while & have been back with staffies since 1999.

I do get a little annoyed when I read misinformation offered as fact by those with no experience of this wonderful breed.

They didn't become the most popular terrier in the country without good reason.

I'm going to reply just this once more, because it's extremely unfair to the OP by going so off the original topic.

My goodness, jerry lee, please read the words that I have written again. Did you actually digest any of it?

You're preaching to the converted. I KNOW how good Staffords can be at agility! lol

Jeebus.

I wasn't trying to prove nor disprove anyones point, particularly your point in regard to the Staffords ability to take part in agility. In fact, if anything, I was agreeing with you on that point....

So why the heck you're telling me about construction and conformation, Lord only knows....!

Obviously what I typed went straight over your head.

I'm simply stating that in THIS case, the Stafford is not necessarily the best breed for the requirements of the OP's daughter.

But they will make that decision themselves, no matter what you, I or anyone else says.

Let that be enough, that you've given them information about the Staffords abilities. Hopefully you're confident enough in your own knowledge to let what others think of the breed to let it go :)

I'm going to reply just this once more, because it's extremely unfair to the OP by going so off the original topic.

My goodness, jerry lee, please read the words that I have written again. Did you actually digest any of it?

You're preaching to the converted. I KNOW how good Staffords can be at agility! lol

Jeebus.

I wasn't trying to prove nor disprove anyones point, particularly your point in regard to the Staffords ability to take part in agility. In fact, if anything, I was agreeing with you on that point....

So why the heck you're telling me about construction and conformation, Lord only knows....!

I'm simply stating that in THIS case, the Stafford is not necessarily the best breed for the requirements of the OP's daughter.

But they will make that decision themselves, no matter what you, I or anyone else says.

Let that be enough, that you've given them information about the Staffords abilities. Hopefully you're confident enough in your own knowledge to let what others think of the breed to let it go :)

Jerry Lee directed the points about construction at my comments, TT. :cool:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Tessies Tracy.

Great vids.

Helped me prove my point, again, whether you meant to or not. Thanks for that.

I never reply to the "what breed should I get for a pet'' threads by recommending staffies. ( I am a staffy person & happily so :o) old school I guess)

This was an exception due to the variety of challenges. & the suggestion by a previous poster that I follow up on.

I thought then as I think now the staffy is a good choice to get the jobs required done.

Firstly, as I stated earlier, it is my experience a staffy introduced as puppy will bond with whatever other animals are already there.

Secondly, it is a doggy home with a definate goal for the dog & I figured with the subsequent early training the dog would bond with the young girl & be easily managed by her because of the regular training. When I had plans for agility the dog had to reach a certain level of obedience before the club would allow it to start agility training.

Next, believing in the puppy bonding I mentioned earlier I don't believe there would be an issue with the three dogs living together.

The reason I kept on is more to do with the ridiculous reasons given why the breed isn't suitable for agility.

Because they are three times heavier than other breeds of a comparable height...

Their constuction is all wrong, because their toes point slighty out at rest their pasterns wont stand up to the jumping & landing.

Their chest are too wide or too narrow, I'm not sure which it was, both are equally ridiculous anyhow, to manage the beam.

The jumps are too high for them.

Well the vids have conclusively dispelled all those misnomers.

I obtained my first staffy in 1985.

He lived with my one rottie first & then a second later, without any trouble.

In fact he & my rottie male were inseparable.

The rotty died in 1996, the staffy a year later. my other rotty a year after that.

I had a break from dogs for a while & have been back with staffies since 1999.

I do get a little annoyed when I read misinformation offered as fact by those with no experience of this wonderful breed.

They didn't become the most popular terrier in the country without good reason.

Jeebus.

Read HW's reply.

I wasn't preaching to the converted, I was trying to explain why I was hanging in.

As for whether the breed would would suit the purpose?

We have to agree to disagree.

HW,

For what it's worth I thank you for your upfront reply & say the same.

Let's just agree to disagree & move on.

HW,

For what it's worth I thank you for your upfront reply & say the same.

Let's just agree to disagree & move on.

No drama jerry lee. I respect your passion for your dog of choice.

It should be possible to debate vigorously and remain civil. Thanks for helping me demonstrate it.

I knew that the construction brick bats were aimed at me laugh.gif

Jeebus.

Jerry Lee directed the points about construction at my comments, TT. :cool:

Aah.. fair enough.. just that the post by jerry lee was headed with my username, so I thought it was all directed at me.