and for the entertainment value only, here is a nice

photo of 2 poopies, 1 sheeps and a daddy dog way down the

back paddock in coventry.

post-4782-0-93287600-1367482840_thumb.jpg

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would expect any Maremma breeder to at least have puppies bond to some livestock, even better forthem tobomd to the livestock that they will be protecting when they go to their new home.

How can a LSG puppy know what it's role is if itis not exposed to any stock until it is in its new home.

Additionally, if a breeder does not intimately know how Maremma work with stock how can that breeder offer any support to their puppy buyers who use them to protect stock?

As Maremmas are livestock guardians I want my breeder to be well versed and have the parents of my puppy actively guarding livestock or have a background in this. I'd also like to see a well balanced temperament from not only the parents but from the other progeny as well. Working out what is a threat and what isn't and reacting appropriately. I definitely would not want to buy a puppy from someone who had their dogs just as pets and did not have any actively guarding as that is not the purpose of an LGD and any breeder with an LGD should have dogs doing what their named suggests.

I would expect any Maremma breeder to at least have puppies bond to some livestock, even better forthem tobomd to the livestock that they will be protecting when they go to their new home.

How can a LSG puppy know what it's role is if itis not exposed to any stock until it is in its new home.

Additionally, if a breeder does not intimately know how Maremma work with stock how can that breeder offer any support to their puppy buyers who use them to protect stock?

They can do very well even if they don't see stock till they leave the breeder or even later in life. Many rescues who go on to be working dogs don't see stock till introduced in foster care. I myself have Introduced adult dog to stock as well as puppies coming to me at 8 weeks who have not seen stock before. the thing to remember is that LGD are not trained, they are managed.

They can do very well even if they don't see stock till they leave the breeder or even later in life. Many rescues who go on to be working dogs don't see stock till introduced in foster care. I myself have Introduced adult dog to stock as well as puppies coming to me at 8 weeks who have not seen stock before. the thing to remember is that LGD are not trained, they are managed.

That's good to hear. I still believe that the breeder must understand and have practical knowledge about how their breed of LSG's work stock so they can advise theie puppy buyers.

Your whole argument is incredibly hypocritical as your dogs are pets, not working dogs. Taking them out for a visit to a farm every so often does not make them a working dog.

post-3970-0-60466000-1367490862_thumb.jpg

It looks like a working farm property to me.

What do you mean not working dogs?

Are LGD's not livestock?

Edited by Tralee

All I see is a group of Italian show breeders buggering it up. If what you say is true then why do you think there are Italians who are breeding dogs which do work who are upset about what is happening in the ring?

Im happy for you to go after fixing what you feel is lacking in the breeding such as improving the eye shape etc but you cant just compromise on everything else to get that .

If I get to a point where I no longer want to breed registered ANKC dogs because I and other working dog breeders dont want to breed pink nosed sick dogs that cant work because they are too fat and whimpy even if they have nice almond shaped eyes Im sure most people reading this will understand why.

Well, Chalice is the second on the right.

Of course, I knew her intimately but she was the fittest dog among them.

post-3970-0-01698800-1367491141_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tralee

Your whole argument is incredibly hypocritical as your dogs are pets, not working dogs. Taking them out for a visit to a farm every so often does not make them a working dog.

post-3970-0-60466000-1367490862_thumb.jpg

It looks like a working farm property to me.

What do you mean not working dogs?

A LGD's not livestock?

Visiting a farm isn't the same as living on the farm and being a permanent guardian. I visited movie world but that doesn't make me Angelina Jollie.

Well I go to work for one day and look what happens.

Maybe you'd like to stop railroading the thread.

My dogs have spent more time on working properties than in town.

Why, how many properties do you have?

post-3970-0-35697100-1367492422_thumb.jpg

My litters are employed as working dogs

Caergwydion litter.

All you have to do is name one Maremma that has won BIS in Australia and I will concede to the rude and discourteous comments made by those who have made slanderous statements. I have made investments in placing my dogs and will not have the owners confidence in me compromised. You need to think before you post.

Edited by Tralee

Well I live on a property that has a LGD in training, does that count? How do your dogs bond to the stock if they don't live there? It's a genuine question. Another genuine question, what does a BIS ribbon have to do with working ability? How many other rarer breeds have a BIS under their belt. I think you place way too much emphasis on show ring success and I love showing! What does success in the show ring have to do with working ability, I have no idea how you think that works.

The town traffic along the road beside the fence is attrocious. :rofl:

I could link each photo to individual comments and expose the bigotry but why should I join in the discourteousness.

I just think its really sad, and the same people over again.

post-3970-0-63938400-1367493290_thumb.jpg

You always clam up when people ask you to explain why you think the way you do. How is it bigotry to ask you how the dogs bond to stock if they don't live with stock. I actually can't see any stock in those pictures so do they just guard the property when you visit? How does success in the show ring equate with working ability, that is totally on topic.

You always clam up when people ask you to explain why you think the way you do. How is it bigotry to ask you how the dogs bond to stock if they don't live with stock. I actually can't see any stock in those pictures so do they just guard the property when you visit? How does success in the show ring equate with working ability, that is totally on topic.

Its not claming up.

You are on ignore.

I don't reply to your posts and with good reason

Edited by Tralee

Its not claming up.

You are on ignore.

I don't reply to your posts and with good reason

Actually that interests me as well. How do your dogs bond to stock properly if they aren't consistently with them? I wish my place was that green right now!

Actually that interests me as well. How do your dogs bond to stock properly if they aren't consistently with them? I wish my place was that green right now!

Two properties/places actually.

LGD's are livestock. Who said they must specifically and exclusively guard chooks, goats, or sheep.

Dogs can guard and protect dogs.

There were four adult dogs on the Nimbin property. Nobody came in, whether there were pups on the ground or not.

post-3970-0-30315700-1367494626_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tralee