Van Set Up For Sleeping One Person And Travelling Three Dogs...

Ridesabikealot

Hi, i have three dogs - a foxhound, a beaglexbasset and a jack russell. I would like to be able to travel easily with all three in a van like a hyundai iload or similar, and also be able to sleep and carry my own gear in the back. I want to use the vehicle for every day use as well, and be able to easily use it to move large items like furniture. So am wondering what the best set up might be. I prefer for my dogs to travel in cages for all our safety, but am also open to other options like the grills i have seen that people have in cars to confine the dogs to a particular part of the car. Or other options like tie downs if people can convince me. With scenthounds it's particularly important that they can't jump out when you open the door as even though well trained, if they do jump out in a new area, you might not get them back for a while....

Suggestions for both sleeping/camping and dog travelling set ups, preferablu combined, are invited! Also smart ways to avoid getting dog hair throughout the van and in all my bedding and other stuff....

Thanks in advance!

I've spent years travelling to dog shows and just travelling with 2/3/4 dogs. I've always had vans, the current one is a Nissan Urvan, did make a mistake with one van, it was short wheel base and nothing fitted lol. My dogs (small ones now) have all travelled in crates. Years ago I did have a van catch on fire and I could just sling the dogs out in the crates so crates have always been essential for me. All back seats were taken out and I had a portable bed set along the right side, a small cupboard for food, coffee sugar, cups etc. in front of that behind the front seats. Between front seats and cupboard a space to put small folding table and folding chairs. Under the bed stored the gas stove, light, dog stuff, (blankets, leads, dishes etc) in boxes. On the left side from the back to the sliding door I had a rail installed for hanging clothes etc. Crates were between the bed and left side. When I had 4 dogs, one crate was on the bed, must say 2 dogs were easier lol. Right at the back there was room at the foot of the bed for water carriers and folded dog pens.

Amazing what can be fitted in a van! When I wanted to use the whole back area, just used to unpack the lot into the garage for next time. As you can see it gets a bit messy inside after a few days lol.

Recently saw a brilliant set up in a small renault Kangoo van, lady had custom tracks put inside back with false floor running along these and drawer under which stored all her bits, food porta gas burner lights chairs etc, false floor slid out and 2 legs folded down making table for cooking prep etc. she had a dune shade shelter from Anaconda which attached to rear or side of vehicle to give her shade and also provide extra storage area when on the go and stopping at camping area's etc. she had also had modification done with 12/240 power plug. As for the sleeping and carrying dogs, she had this false floor made so it slid right out and then hinged down to ground forming ramp which she would simply unload and reload dog trolley into back of vehicle and had secure points installed to keep stable when moving, All four dogs were in this (4 berth trolley) small breed either boston or french bulldogs, but in your case you could use 2 berth or single if all dogs happy to travel together. Then come sleeping time she had mattress held in place up on inside of roof by cross straps and would simply place this on floor leaving trolley out of vehicle in enclosed tent area.

the vehicle was well designed she said was very economical to run and easy to just take out trolley and have all storage for doing normal running around driving as needed.

http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Camp-and-Hike/Shelter/Deluxe-RV-Shade

I've spent years travelling to dog shows and just travelling with 2/3/4 dogs. I've always had vans, the current one is a Nissan Urvan, did make a mistake with one van, it was short wheel base and nothing fitted lol. My dogs (small ones now) have all travelled in crates. Years ago I did have a van catch on fire and I could just sling the dogs out in the crates so crates have always been essential for me. All back seats were taken out and I had a portable bed set along the right side, a small cupboard for food, coffee sugar, cups etc. in front of that behind the front seats. Between front seats and cupboard a space to put small folding table and folding chairs. Under the bed stored the gas stove, light, dog stuff, (blankets, leads, dishes etc) in boxes. On the left side from the back to the sliding door I had a rail installed for hanging clothes etc. Crates were between the bed and left side. When I had 4 dogs, one crate was on the bed, must say 2 dogs were easier lol. Right at the back there was room at the foot of the bed for water carriers and folded dog pens.

Amazing what can be fitted in a van! When I wanted to use the whole back area, just used to unpack the lot into the garage for next time. As you can see it gets a bit messy inside after a few days lol.

Thanks for all that pebbles. I have also thought of a portable bed with storage underneath. And the clothes rail... Great to hear from someone who has done it a lot... Gives me a bit or reassurance about how it can work...

It's great to hear that people with larger dogs like huskies manage to do this ok with more than one dog. I love my foxhound and beaglexbasset but at times i do dream of travelling with dogs that don't need quite so much monitoring and care as scenthounds do and that i don't have to worry about being offleash, even if just for a few minutes. This challenge is one of the reasons i want to make my setup work really easily, whilst keeping them safe. Travelling with these kinds of dogs is enough effort in itself, as well behaved as they are... Think it will just take planning to work out the best arrangements for me sleeping, and crating the dogs...

Recently saw a brilliant set up in a small renault Kangoo van, lady had custom tracks put inside back with false floor running along these and drawer under which stored all her bits, food porta gas burner lights chairs etc, false floor slid out and 2 legs folded down making table for cooking prep etc. she had a dune shade shelter from Anaconda which attached to rear or side of vehicle to give her shade and also provide extra storage area when on the go and stopping at camping area's etc. she had also had modification done with 12/240 power plug. As for the sleeping and carrying dogs, she had this false floor made so it slid right out and then hinged down to ground forming ramp which she would simply unload and reload dog trolley into back of vehicle and had secure points installed to keep stable when moving, All four dogs were in this (4 berth trolley) small breed either boston or french bulldogs, but in your case you could use 2 berth or single if all dogs happy to travel together. Then come sleeping time she had mattress held in place up on inside of roof by cross straps and would simply place this on floor leaving trolley out of vehicle in enclosed tent area.

the vehicle was well designed she said was very economical to run and easy to just take out trolley and have all storage for doing normal running around driving as needed.

http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Camp-and-Hike/Shelter/Deluxe-RV-Shade

Thank you Zeebie. I like the idea of the mattress held up against the wall when travelling... That could work well. I have thought of a false floor too, with storage underneath, but want to be able to remove it when am just using the van for everyday use. Do you think this might be possible? Is that what the custom tracks were for? I might have to look at a kanga... Not sure their cargo area is long enough for me to sleep though... I am 6ft...

[\quote]

Thank you Zeebie. I like the idea of the mattress held up against the wall when travelling... That could work well. I have thought of a false floor too, with storage underneath, but want to be able to remove it when am just using the van for everyday use. Do you think this might be possible? Is that what the custom tracks were for? I might have to look at a kanga... Not sure their cargo area is long enough for me to sleep though... I am 6ft...

Yep whole section comes out when they want to use the van for other things drawer under comes off rails in floor, and false floor slides off it is locked in by clips when in van but comes off rails when not needed, Unless you like to completely stretch out straight when asleep you can probably increase length down with removing the passenger seat and using this area through from front to back doors for longer mattress. I have one of those comletely collapsible self inflating king size single mats which fits into 4wd cargo area when back seats flat and while I am not 6' a friend is and they can sleep comfortably in their 4wd on same set up.

It's great to hear that people with larger dogs like huskies manage to do this ok with more than one dog. I love my foxhound and beaglexbasset but at times i do dream of travelling with dogs that don't need quite so much monitoring and care as scenthounds do and that i don't have to worry about being offleash, even if just for a few minutes. This challenge is one of the reasons i want to make my setup work really easily, whilst keeping them safe. Travelling with these kinds of dogs is enough effort in itself, as well behaved as they are... Think it will just take planning to work out the best arrangements for me sleeping, and crating the dogs...

:laugh: Yes managing is a big part of it.

At our racing most have some kind of tie out stake for the dogs during the day and the dogs sleep inside trailers or crates at nights. If my dog's ever running free it would be thanks to equiptment malfunction on the trail :laugh:

This van has been a dream of mine for many years, I have designed it for me and my dogs and my wonderful hubby helped me fit it out.

The van is a 2003 mercedes Benz sprinter, mid wheel base, high roof. It has a turbo diesel engine with a 5 speed manual box. It drives like a dream and I get nearly 900km to a tank of fuel. It fits into most car park spaces, just need to watch the height, it won't fit into underground carparks.

All up doing the fitout ourselves including the cost of the van is .....

Van purchased 2nd hand from a dealer - $17000

Window done professionally - $2500

Roof insulated and lined by a friend who is an upholsterer $560 this would normally be $1200

Fitout done by us including bed, kitchen cupboard, draws, port-a-loo $3000

I still need to attach a caravan style annex to the side and put a secondary power system through.

So still need to spend approx $3500 to finish is off.

So totals around $26500. Much cheaper than buying one already fitted out and it I have designed the way I wanted it.

This is standing between the front seats looking towards the back of the van you can see my bed with 2 large crates underneath. I have a port-a-loo to the right and kitchen cupboards to the left. Just out of view is my 15ltr water container and under that is my car fridge.

post-2971-0-85648800-1356698228_thumb.jpg

This is looking from the side door, this is before I put my doona on the bed. Each of the crate have large fans that run off the cigarette lighter, I have an attachement for 3 inlets for this purpose.

post-2971-0-06826300-1356698253_thumb.jpg

The 3rd pic of looking into the back of the van. Up top in my bed (I can lay across the van I'm 5ft 3in tall) under and to the sides of the crates is storage space for my show trolley, towels, grooming box, extra 20ltr water container etc.

post-2971-0-79828000-1356698290_thumb.jpg

Since these photo's were taken I have lined and insulated the roof and walls so nice and cool in summer and warm in winter.

I have also made magnetic fly screens to keep the bugs out. Like the bugmesh ones advertised on TV just a larger version.

I have my foldup crates in the spaces at the moment but have plans to put permanent crates with duel opening doors (so I can acess the dogs from inside and the back of the van).

Everything is a protype to see what works and what needs fixing, so far everything has work so won't need to change anything.

Hope this gives you some ideas.