Hot Weather

Sankari

i'm more after what is considered hot than what people choose to show in. being relatively new to showing i am still very much learning. That is one of the things i'd like to find out what the general rule of thumb by clubs so to speak or more the point where i will find out what an individual club's hot weather cancellation policy is??

This recent thread may help: http://www.dolforums...5-temperatures/

DogsVic states the following on their webpage (http://www.dogsvicto...DogShowing.aspx ), but I couldn't easily find anything more comprehensive than that:

Extreme

weather

In the best interests of

dogs and exhibitors shows held in the summer months will include an extreme

weather policy on their schedules. An example of an extreme weather policy could

be

"If extreme weather is forecast on the day of the show, please go to www.dogsvictoria.org.au

to check on the status of the show on the Friday prior to the running of the

show. No refunds will be issued in the event of a

cancellation."

Another

example could be

"If the forecast temperature on the Channel 2 7pm

news the day before the event is 38 degrees or above the show will commence at

7.30am."

(I would also suggest their Facebook page if you are on FB as I have seen extreme weather announcements there)

DogsNSW has the following which is rather more detailed: http://dogsnsw.org.a...y-at-shows.html

Edited by espinay2

This year (2012) we showed at Benalla (up the Hume Hwy) in early January and I found the humidity coming out from under the gazebo

and into the ring just too stifling. Most rings were in sun and the lucky ones got the shade under the trees for their gazebos.

But toileting the dogs or my self in the heat was just too much, the dogs & I were just not our best.

So for this reason we have not entered the Benalla shows, knowing my luck this time the weather will be nice & cool.

Personal prefernce as to what you find too hot for you and for your dogs.

BB

Ok so it seems my question was not valid anymore. The app on my phone told me it is going to be 36 deg then checked the site on bom and it tells me 28 :laugh:

I faint when it gets too hot so I will not show when it's too hot. I only was asking in general what the cut off for cancellation of shows was. I have a Lappie who HATES hot weather so it's nother fair on her or me when it's hot.

Thanks for the replies guys.

This year (2012) we showed at Benalla (up the Hume Hwy) in early January and I found the humidity coming out from under the gazebo

and into the ring just too stifling. Most rings were in sun and the lucky ones got the shade under the trees for their gazebos.

But toileting the dogs or my self in the heat was just too much, the dogs & I were just not our best.

So for this reason we have not entered the Benalla shows, knowing my luck this time the weather will be nice & cool.

Personal prefernce as to what you find too hot for you and for your dogs.

BB

Gee Blakbelgian you might have worded the above a bit differently. A bit too much info it seems. :D

We have had 40C+ weather in Perth for the last several days and shows on Saturday, Sunday and Monday :) All shows at this time of the year are night shows anyway (except country shows) and the organising committee were very on the ball and delayed the start time to 7.30pm each night :) Made for a late finish but meant that the dogs didn't struggle :thumbsup: The humans on the other hand still found it very muggy :laugh:

Because we do night shows I doubt we would ever have a show cancelled, just delayed starts :)

I think it depends on the humidity not the actual temperature, as its the humidity that is the killer :(

If you can keep your dogs cool then thats the main things.

I was very disappointed on the weekend, at the show on a Sunday night and the secretary got on the speaker and said whoever owns said vehical, please attend and remove the dog from the car as it is heat stressed. Now it was quite warm regardless that it was early evening...I would expect show people to be dog savy, but maybe I am too naieve :( People who show dogs, should be a lot more aware of everything dog!!

I think it depends on the humidity not the actual temperature, as its the humidity that is the killer :(

If you can keep your dogs cool then thats the main things.

I was very disappointed on the weekend, at the show on a Sunday night and the secretary got on the speaker and said whoever owns said vehical, please attend and remove the dog from the car as it is heat stressed. Now it was quite warm regardless that it was early evening...I would expect show people to be dog savy, but maybe I am too naieve :( People who show dogs, should be a lot more aware of everything dog!!

That is appalling :( I never leave my dog in the car even if it's raining! I would expect people to be much more cautious about their dogs and heat.

Slightly off topic but our local Homeart are selling pet cooling pads on special just under $40.00. These are THIN gel filled and do not need to be wet or chilled before use. Just place the dog on them and they draw the heat away. We have tried these and you really can feel the mat cooling if you place your hand on it. There are two pads in the box. One would be big enough for a crate. The second is smaller (about 1/3 size) and would be good size for a berth in a four berth trolley or similar.

Claim to be non-toxic gel and indestructible covers. Time will tell on this last point with my lot.

Don't know if other Homeart stores have them. They don't seem to be listed on their website, but these ones here have Homeart all over the packaging.

Just thought I'd mention it for those interested.