Will Snake Catchers Remove Snakes From The Backyard...

pipsqueak

I think Tiger Snake as well. If the dogs had been envenomated by it they would've been in trouble within the first hour, if not within minutes. Their venom is haemotoxic and fast acting.

That sounds completely ridiculous. Do they not care for people's safety?

Snakes are protected you can't legally just kill them unless you can prove your wheer truly threatened.

The fines are massive & there is a jail term

Then I can only assume that the authorities care more about snakes than they do about people and indeed any other animal.

Snakes are a vital part of the ecosystem and are high volume in this country. So you can't just wage an elimination campaign against them for environmental reasons. And killing them is pointless. Nature abhors a vacuum - if you kill one another will move in.

If it's truly problematic then there are ways around the laws and common sense applies. So if it's threatening humans or animals etc. I have always said to people, if you have resident snakes that have been there awhile, leave them be. Snakes can and do learn. A resident snake will know normal human and animal activities in the area and fit in on the fringes of that. Then they are less likely to be startled and put in a defensive position.

Basically - resident snakes will know a bit about where and what you and your pets do - and will stay out of it as much as possible. We and our pets are not prey to them. From their point of view any crucial interaction with us or pets is a massive waste of valuable venom. That is not something they will take lightly as it can make or break their survival.

Obviously calmer types like Blacks are better than more aggressive and flighty species like Browns and Tigers. But older snakes of these species will also be more wily and sensible.

Like them or not we live with lots of them. A little understanding goes a long way towards making them less scary and helping us live around them without our hearts in our mouths constantly.

And of course if we can keep the big bluetongues safe from our dogs - they won't tolerate snakes in their territory and are a great defence.

I think Tiger Snake as well. If the dogs had been envenomated by it they would've been in trouble within the first hour, if not within minutes. Their venom is haemotoxic and fast acting.

Snakes are protected you can't legally just kill them unless you can prove your wheer truly threatened.

Then I can only assume that the authorities care more about snakes than they do about people and indeed any other animal.

Snakes are a vital part of the ecosystem and are high volume in this country. So you can't just wage an elimination campaign against them for environmental reasons. And killing them is pointless. Nature abhors a vacuum - if you kill one another will move in.

If it's truly problematic then there are ways around the laws and common sense applies. So if it's threatening humans or animals etc. I have always said to people, if you have resident snakes that have been there awhile, leave them be. Snakes can and do learn. A resident snake will know normal human and animal activities in the area and fit in on the fringes of that. Then they are less likely to be startled and put in a defensive position.

Basically - resident snakes will know a bit about where and what you and your pets do - and will stay out of it as much as possible. We and our pets are not prey to them. From their point of view any crucial interaction with us or pets is a massive waste of valuable venom. That is not something they will take lightly as it can make or break their survival.

Obviously calmer types like Blacks are better than more aggressive and flighty species like Browns and Tigers. But older snakes of these species will also be more wily and sensible.

Like them or not we live with lots of them. A little understanding goes a long way towards making them less scary and helping us live around them without our hearts in our mouths constantly.

And of course if we can keep the big bluetongues safe from our dogs - they won't tolerate snakes in their territory and are a great defence.

Thanks, unfortunately one of our dogs hunts blue tongue, as much as I try to stop it. and save them when I can. I really like the blue tongues and have been very upset over the ones he has killed.

Thanks, unfortunately one of our dogs hunts blue tongue, as much as I try to stop it. and save them when I can. I really like the blue tongues and have been very upset over the ones he has killed.

And, we're not near water in the sense of a river or creek, but we do have storm water drains running through our block.

Would not surprise me if neighbours had frogs, they both have lovely native gardens. I just remembered, neighbour directly opposite has a large outdoor pond in their front garden filled with fish, so perhaps frogs as well???

Looks like a brown snake to me, but our tigers are black with an underbelly from yellow through to a very dark orange and quite often you can't see any stripes.

Our Tigers are the defensive ones around here with the browns only getting agro if they are cornered/attacked. I would prefer a brown moving through to a tiger. I have also found if you have resident tigers around here they don't stay out of your way at all. The go where they please and don't seem to move away. One farmer down here had one in his shed and he had to wear wellies, as every time he went in this snake would have a go at him and rush him being very defensive. He put up with it for quite a while as he thought it would move on, but it didn't and in the end it was dispatched.

I have been told having a resident python can help keep venomous snakes away, not sure how true it is but an old farmer swore by it and did whatever he could to keep his rather large, very well fed Carpet python in his shed.

Never really thought about their pond before. I've just emailed off the photo to a place to get an ID. I will also be speaking to our local vet when they reopen to see if they keep antivenom.

Good move. We have bushland close so keep watch on the Snake Catchers' Brisbane website. They have a free identification service where people can send a photo. There's also links to other states & local snake catchers.

http://snakecatchers.com/activity.html

A snake catcher gave a talk to a community group here... & he said to track back on the food chain for prevention. As others said.... ponds attract frogs which attract snakes. Same anything that attracts mice or rats.

had a snake removed from the front of our home a few years back. Our catcher told us he relocates about 20km away, as a snakes home range is about 6km, so relocated any closer like only 1km, and it will be straight back to its territory again

Depends on your State legislation. There are often strict limits on relocation distance. Territorial animals can often die a long and horrible death when relocated somewhere far from their territory. Euthanasia is a far kinder option in many cases. We may get a warm fuzzy feeling if a wild animal is released far away instead of dying, but it's often just a more drawn out process, so not really warm and fuzzy at all.