Picking A Puppy

Jbea

Birth. 9 times out of 10 the pup we keep is the one we liked at birth. Obviously you can't tell stuff like eye colour & teeth at this stage :laugh:

Otherwise it really depends on the breed and the lines. With mine, 6 weeks is almost always better than 7 or 8 weeks and after that time I would say 2 years old is a good time to look.

I earmark at birth. Keep watching them when they are up on their feet (walking around, playing and also eating). First "cull" (ie remove from contention) at 7-8 weeks. Keep watching them. Final selection at 10 weeks when companions start going to new homes. Then hold my breath and wait.

Some things yes.

When you've done enough "puppy pickin'" you can see things that won't change. For example, a short ribcage won't lengthen. A narrow, long, snipey muzzle won't widen. A wide backskull won't miraculously narrow.

Editing to add: Of course the above is breed dependent...I am referring my comments mostly to American Cockers.

Edited by ellz

Thank you, so it seems you do have a fair idea at birth?

Depends on breed, line and breeder experience. Also in bigger headed breeds sometimes a pup can get quite knocked around at birth and sometimes are so swollen it takes a day or two to realise they actually do have a stop :laugh:

I certainly wouldn't choose at birth if my decision was binding but I certainly get an idea of what's what then & it's very interesting to see how they grow.

The one thing I have noticed is that if they are born with a prominent underjaw to the extent you can see the lower lip there's virtually no chance the pup will have a good mouth (this is with Staffords).

What is the earliest feasible age to look at a puppy for show ring potential?

What you have at 6 weeks is close to what you will have at 18 months.

Sex will narrow it down of course, & colour will come into it, but is a trap & should be down the list.

However, there is many a slip between the cup & the lip.

Yes to considering first impressions when wet. But that can change with age - sometimes due to to teeth, testicles and tail carriage. :)

Some things yes.

When you've done enough "puppy pickin'" you can see things that won't change. For example, a short ribcage won't lengthen. A narrow, long, snipey muzzle won't widen. A wide backskull won't miraculously narrow.

Editing to add: Of course the above is breed dependent...I am referring my comments mostly to American Cockers.

I was giggling at this Ellz, making comparisons with my vastly different breed. Short heads and broad muzzles won't lengthen and be refined enough, but shorter ribcages do lengthen when they drop. But yes, a wide backskull still won't miraculously narrow. :D

Also, a short loin stays a short loin. As does a straight front. :)

Edited by Alyosha