Has Anyone Seen?

RidgieAmy

Hey, just wondered if anyone else has seen the documentary about dogs that contains the fox breeding?

They bred from foxes and picked out the most non aggressive to re-breed from and then also bred from the most aggresive, over afifty year period they continued to breed like this from the cubs, until eventually they showed you the difference, the non aggressive turned into more dog-like foxes basically even their markings changed they got white streaks down their snout, tails shortened, ears went floppy, they wagged tails, loved human company wheras the aggressive stayed like wild foxes couldnt be touched etc hated the sight of humans! I cant remember the name of it but its a recent docu, thought it was very interesting and wondered if anyone had seen it? :)

FOUND A LINK HERE

Edited by RidgieAmy

I also feel sorry for the foxes :( don't really see the need for the experiment, but it was an interesting watch, still disgusting seeing them in their tiny cages with wire bottoms :(

Edited by RidgieAmy

I've known about this for a long time now just out of my own interests, but now we learn about this experiment at uni. Have seen some of the older documentaries on it. I might take a look at this one tomorrow and see if there is any new info on it :)

Ahh its called secret life of the dog, by the BBC, its on youtube, or here http://topdocumentar...ecret-life-dog/, they also discover that dogs have learned to interact with people and even when looking at pictures of people dogs always look at the left?(or right lol) side of our face to read our emotions but when shown a picture or other dog they don't read dogs the same way anyway its very interesting to watch :)thumbsup1.gif

Edited by RidgieAmy

The Belyaev's Russian fox farm experiment. Very old and well known with some interesting findings on the genetics of behavior and possible links to phenotype. Lots of articles on it if you search.

Edited by espinay2

Incidentally, the foxes are a type bred in captivity for the fur trade. They are not kept in those tiny cages specifically for the experiment. It's just the standard way to keep them. There is research out there about improving their welfare, same as there is for livestock.