Information On Importing

JessicaM

Haven't posted much anywhere yet and I'm jumping in a bit here, but OP maybe you should have a look at some NZ breeders and their dogs? Many of the Paps here are pretty dainty imo, if that's what you like, and several breeders here have english, swedish etc lines. It would be easier than importing from farther afield too. Something to consider at least. But I do agree with the others in that you should build relationships with breeders in Aus as well.

No I'm not a breeder I'm just showing at the moment, might breed next year or so but not now. And my bitch hasnt had any health tests yet so I dont know if I can breed her yet.

Oh really? I will have a look at NZ breeders.. that is a good idea thanks for that.

And my dog was 5 months if I can remember... I have never seen such a timid pap before. If myself or my partner would pat him and if we called him over, (we would be on the floor) he would pee everytime and scared :( unless he was in some horrible fear stage I think he was caged cause he also used to piss his bed all the time! That is not very normal' with dogs, but anyway this isnt about my poor dom :) lol

This may have been submissive wetting. It's not uncommon in pups and most grow out of it.

As far as I see it overseas is a chance to do something great and bring something over which could help alot of the limited stock over here, I do say this because alot of paps come from the same sire and are related aswel. Mot closely related but three generarions ago my two paps have come from the same sire.

It may also break your heart. Not every import experience is a positive one and at least a couple of imports have turned out to be sterile. Also not uncommon for a pup to be promised and the promise retracted when it shows real potential. Proceed with caution and don't make the mistake of thinking that the standard of ethics of overseas breeders varies any less than it does here.

Absolutely I don't expect things to go perfect straight at the start, that is why I want more options, opinions and advice. I need help and advice... if it doesn't work out yet I can have this in a future goal.

New breeders journey was what I orginally read and inspired me! I am always going to be second best so the next best thing to do is look else where and NOT cut corners and do it. This lady began at the bottom and worked hars to get where she is, why cant I get a dog overseas?. and like I said in my previous post that I find the papillons here are getting much larger and heavier and not 'dainty' anymore... why cant I import? I can its not like it is impossible.

Or I could just buy other dog and breed them from australia stock where alot of them came from the same lines... I'd rather sit down search and find with somerthing I'd be happy with.

There is no reason why you shouldn't import. But it is important to remember that you will need to develop relationships with breeders here too. One thing to note about that article is that not only did he import, but he made relationships with breeders in his own country and learnt from them. If you go to his website you will see him mention the help he got from breeders in Finland as well as with breeders around the world. Building these relationships is something he stresses as being vitally important.

Great advice * like this post* this is a huge learning opportunity. Edited to say.. its sad that I havent actually thought about NZ breeders lol. :)

Edited by JessicaM

Stick with it! It is good to have goals. But don't discount what is here. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the water.

To save you searching here are some articles that are worth reading:

New Breeder's Journey

Seven Foundations of a Successful Dog Breeder

How to choose a mentor

Fantastic WebsiteS, I am going have a good read of the Seven foundationS Ofa Successful dog breeder. Thank youVery much

One thing you should keep in mind if you don't already. Don't expect if you have an import that it automatically means you will win more in the show ring. You may even do worse even with a good dog if the style of dog is one not commonly seen. You will need to be prepared not to be discouraged.

If you are able (and they have one) it would certainly be worth attending a National Specialty in the country of interest. This way you can see a whole bunch of dogs and meet the breeders / owners.

I have been in my breed for 11 years and have imported 2 from NZ, 2 from Sweden and 2 from USA. I have visited many countries, World Show, Specialities O/S and a squillion hours of research and building friendships.

Meeting the breeders makes it so much easier to be welcomed into their kennel/lines.

Good Luck sounds exciting, you should have a look at NZ first though. If they have some nice dogs (I have no idea about paps :) ) it is easier and cheaper to visit there to see the dogs and meet the breeders.

I think the most important thing to consider her is if the OP's bitch is even worth being bred too if it is what she is implying. Passing health tests and showing doesn't automatically mean that it is good enough to be bred from. What if the dog stays timid and it isn't a puppy phase, I wouldn't be breeding from questionable temperament. What does the bitch have to offer that is not already out there in Australia? It is left field, but before I would even think of importing a dog, I would make what you have at home matches the dog you are looking at and that together the combination would produce outstanding off spring that contribute to the wellness of the breed.

Pick lines and dogs that you like, lines that you think would match what you want in a Pap , and work with the breeder, don't settle for anything less just because that is all you can get. If it means a trip overseas for the right dog, then so be it, if your that serious about it, then you will do what it takes.

Guest Panzer Attack!

You mention size a LOT in your posts. Please don't breed only for size, we have enough of that in Aus already.

Totally OT:

Keshwar: I clicked on your website link and had to write:

I love the layout and writing style. Informative, simple, funny, honest. kewl :thumbsup:

Hi Lilli,

Must have missed this. :(

Glad you like the site. I try to keep it simple and easy to read. :)

Thanks for the positive feed back.

Edited by Keshwar

Hello all,

I have read most posts from people and read my links that have been reccomended, I'm sorry if anyone is getting concerned that I'm 'not thinking this through' or just looking for breeding. No that is not what I'm intending to do, I am honestly thinking this through as to how this would benefit me (yes going through the pros and cons) and I think I should wait as I am still new.

I have no plans to become a large breeder, (the type who has many dogs and cant spend lots of time with them) if I am to breed a litter I am going to do it properly, make sure I do health tests and my bitch does have a lot of faults, she isnt perfect but in time I'm learning.

No I dont plan on breeding for size! That is something I have noticed, and not sure if its dog genetics or how they have been bred but I'm not a fan of the larger ones. :confused: but as I have noticed some judges like the bigger dogs and others like the smaller ones.

I think the most important thing to consider her is if the OP's bitch is even worth being bred too if it is what she is implying. Passing health tests and showing doesn't automatically mean that it is good enough to be bred from. What if the dog stays timid and it isn't a puppy phase, I wouldn't be breeding from questionable temperament. What does the bitch have to offer that is not already out there in Australia? It is left field, but before I would even think of importing a dog, I would make what you have at home matches the dog you are looking at and that together the combination would produce outstanding off spring that contribute to the wellness of the breed.

Pick lines and dogs that you like, lines that you think would match what you want in a Pap , and work with the breeder, don't settle for anything less just because that is all you can get. If it means a trip overseas for the right dog, then so be it, if your that serious about it, then you will do what it takes.

My intention of posting was about importing, I had someone tell me to have another breed ( a more rare breed) this had nothing to do with breeding really but it is a thought. And yes your right, like I said health tests, confirmation, temperment will all have to be considered if I do choose to breed. Won't be for a year or so at least... the dog that is timid is a pet, my bitch that I show is not timid. She has the normal spunky papillon temperment.

And with the thought 'overseas dogs would be better than aus dogs here why do you think they would be better?' There is a beautiful beautiful japenese chin dog at the shows I often go to, this dog in question usually wins bis but dont get me wrong, it is a beautiful dog and only have seen a couple of others here. The one from overseas has a lovely coat, a really nice head (from what I have heard other people say) and the owner is a nice guy, I have struck up a convo with him and the dog was quite friendly.

Maybe its just a cliche thay 'overseas' dogs are better, but all I know that the dog is goergeous and I would love to have one.

Yes overrall thanks eveyone for your time and posts, I have decided to put alot more time in and will be going to speciality shows. My partner and I are planning a working holiday overseas for a year and this is why I was asking about importing... when we do eventually go I will be going to shows there aswel :thumbsup:

My intention of posting was about importing, I had someone tell me to have another breed ( a more rare breed) this had nothing to do with breeding really but it is a thought. And yes your right, like I said health tests, confirmation, temperment will all have to be considered if I do choose to breed. Won't be for a year or so at least... the dog that is timid is a pet, my bitch that I show is not timid. She has the normal spunky papillon temperment.

And with the thought 'overseas dogs would be better than aus dogs here why do you think they would be better?' There is a beautiful beautiful japenese chin dog at the shows I often go to, this dog in question usually wins bis but dont get me wrong, it is a beautiful dog and only have seen a couple of others here. The one from overseas has a lovely coat, a really nice head (from what I have heard other people say) and the owner is a nice guy, I have struck up a convo with him and the dog was quite friendly.

Maybe its just a cliche thay 'overseas' dogs are better, but all I know that the dog is goergeous and I would love to have one.

Yes overrall thanks eveyone for your time and posts, I have decided to put alot more time in and will be going to speciality shows. My partner and I are planning a working holiday overseas for a year and this is why I was asking about importing... when we do eventually go I will be going to shows there aswel :thumbsup:

Glad you are planning to put the time in as I think you can benefit a lot and we never do stop learning.

To clarify a few things:

You were not being told to get a rare breed, someone who has a rare breed was relating their experiences with that (and the fact that because it is rare they need to import more as the genepool is small).

Yes, there are some good quality dogs from overseas here (you have met one and are basing your assessment on that?). But not all of them are (and there are quite a few you will never see at shows!!) Import does not automatically equal quality. Each individual dogs will still need to be assessed on its own merits regardless of where it is from (in the show ring, when it is being judged, where the dog is from is of no consequence).

A great idea to spend your time overseas getting involved with the dog community over there. Will you be taking your dogs with you?

It's a good idea if you are on FB to join a few FB groups of your breed too JessicaM...I have joined a few of my breed, & have struck up quite alot of close friendships with breeders & owners all over the world...it's a great way to see photos too, & to see what others are breeding.

I am saving my money, & hopefully will be attending my breeds National Speciality show next year in the US to finally meet some of my friends & their beautiful dogs :)

Glad you are planning to put the time in as I think you can benefit a lot and we never do stop learning.

To clarify a few things:

You were not being told to get a rare breed, someone who has a rare breed was relating their experiences with that (and the fact that because it is rare they need to import more as the genepool is small).

Yes, there are some good quality dogs from overseas here (you have met one and are basing your assessment on that?). But not all of them are (and there are quite a few you will never see at shows!!) Import does not automatically equal quality. Each individual dogs will still need to be assessed on its own merits regardless of where it is from (in the show ring, when it is being judged, where the dog is from is of no consequence).

A great idea to spend your time overseas getting involved with the dog community over there. Will you be taking your dogs with you?

My idea waa people with 'rarer' breeds would need to import and as they would have alot at stake they would need to do their research so they knew exactly what they wanted.

And yes of course I would be taking my hairy babies with me :)

But another thing if I may ask... if I take them overseas do the same quarentine rules apply bringing dogs into their country, so to speak and when we move back I'm guessing they will need to be in quarentine back in aus?

Different countries have different requirements in regards to importing a dog and you need to check the individual requirements with those countries (their consulates can generally offer advice and provide infomation).

There are also different requirements for bringing a dog back to Australia depending on what country or countries they have been in and you will need to check that thoroughly. It will pay to know which countries may pose difficulties for you if you travel to them and which ones will be easier to manage.

You will need to comply with the quaraintine restrictions when bringing your dogs back home (just as if you were importing a dog) so it pays to become familiar with what they are and do the necessary preparations while you are there so they can come back when you do (depending on how long you intend to stay, you may need to start preparations soon after you arrive so all requirements are fulfilled by the time you are ready to come home again). You can find information on the AQIS website.