Camera Set Up For Trailers

FlissPrideaux

I'm investigating the use of a camera in the trailer to monitor the dogs when travelling . I know some people have them and I was wondering how successful they found them . I'm hoping to use a wireless surveillance type camera set up I would then be able to take the monitor into the room when we are away (the model I am looking at has night vision)

Thanks. Fliss

We had one but it wasn't wireless. It was a system that had a screen in the rearview mirror. It had colour, night vision and a microphone (which you could turn off). We also installed a 2nd camera behind the trailer and one above the towball. With the push of a button you could switch between all the cameras. It was an awesome unit and gave amazing peace of mind when travelling long distances, although for the most part all we saw was them sleeping.

I use a camera on the back of our bus and another on the back of the trailer so when reversing the bus and trailer I can see behind although these are all hard wired in. I had thought of getting another reversing camera from ebay to mount in the trailer with a wireless monitor so I could check on the dogs. Trouble I have come across is powering the remote monitor when away from the vehicle as well as powering the camera while the vehicle is parked overnight. I can see the potential for a flat battery on the car. However I am sure there is a way it can be done.

Another idea is perhaps a baby monitor system using batteries. I have a phobia of flat car batteries especially when travelling.

I shall watch this thred with interest.

Edited by yarracully

One thing we wished we had was a means to talk to the dogs from the car. We tried a voice activated baby monitor but it was too close to the mic in the camera system and produced feedback.

Walkie talky will work for you.

I use a camera on the back of our bus and another on the back of the trailer so when reversing the bus and trailer I can see behind although these are all hard wired in. I had thought of getting another reversing camera from ebay to mount in the trailer with a wireless monitor so I could check on the dogs. Trouble I have come across is powering the remote monitor when away from the vehicle as well as powering the camera while the vehicle is parked overnight. I can see the potential for a flat battery on the car. However I am sure there is a way it can be done.

Another idea is perhaps a baby monitor system using batteries. I have a phobia of flat car batteries especially when travelling.

You could use a second car battery - not hard wired in and run it off that. (this is what I do for fans at shows)

One thing we wished we had was a means to talk to the dogs from the car. We tried a voice activated baby monitor but it was too close to the mic in the camera system and produced feedback.

We tried that too but the mic pickup from the camera in the trailer interfered with it.

You could use a second car battery - not hard wired in and run it off that. (this is what I do for fans at shows)

Good point Sway that will power the camera itself although that doesn't help with powering the monitor while in motel room or whatever. But I am sure there has to be a way of doing it.

Yeah but you have to train the dogs to use it :rofl:

I don't want to know what mine are thinking, I only want to be able to tell them to shut up if barking :laugh:

Good point Sway that will power the camera itself although that doesn't help with powering the monitor while in motel room or whatever. But I am sure there has to be a way of doing it.

Hve seen one in a horse float (horsybago really !!!) and they had it wired to the car electrics along with their fridge but when the car was off it changed power source ?? Greg assures me it is easy to do !! They had battery packs (3) as back up and they had solar power panels to recharge everything. LOL to have that money :D .

I don't want to know what mine are thinking, I only want to be able to tell them to shut up if barking :laugh:

Well - it could fill some boring hours on those interstate trips LOL.

We had one but it wasn't wireless. It was a system that had a screen in the rearview mirror. It had colour, night vision and a microphone (which you could turn off). We also installed a 2nd camera behind the trailer and one above the towball. With the push of a button you could switch between all the cameras. It was an awesome unit and gave amazing peace of mind when travelling long distances, although for the most part all we saw was them sleeping.

Do you recall what brand it was ?

Thanks for the feed back everyone

A local exhibitor we both know has one Fliss. You going to Bungendore?

No not entered - figured I wouldn't be able to walk well enough ! I was right !!! Haredown ???? My trailer is amazingly cool but I just like to know what the little darlings are up too ..... That is the trouble with black pugs they are terrors !!!

Do you recall what brand it was ?

Thanks for the feed back everyone

It was from SVS Australia - this model.