Puppies Legs Turning Out

chook007

Also the general rule is if the growth isn't right, change the diet to a lower protein and energy one that will slow the growth.

Yep, I'd drop the puppy kibble and switch to an adult version - but your breeder is the best bet for advice.

I have heard from others and unfortunately it is all antidotal stuff:

Diets too high in protein are believed by some to make them grow too fast and then turn out...

Lift the bowl up off the ground a bit so their feet are under the bowl rather than standing around the bowl

Some say give them Vit C

As I said, this is stuff I have heard around the traps from many a breeder. I don't know if any are true or just urban myths.

Thankyou all for your help. I have been at work today & was not able to PH the breeder until late arvo only to be told she will be away for the next few days.

The mince I have been feeding him is the pet mince [frames].

What % of protein should a young puppy have at 10 weeks.

Thankyou all for your help. I have been at work today & was not able to PH the breeder until late arvo only to be told she will be away for the next few days.

Whatever suits that particular puppy. Some need more then others so there is no magic number.

Whatever suits that particular puppy. Some need more then others so there is no magic number.

This is very true.

I've raised all my puppies on Puppy Pro Plan with no issues at all. However my latest litter started going east west very young. I took them off the Puppy and popped them on adult with a lower protein content and within a few days the pups fronts were straight again.

Definitely talk to the breeder and take their advice first and foremost.

A few suggestions though if your pup is going east/west.

The two main issues to be aware of when growing larger breed puppies is overall calorie intake and amount of calcium. With large breed puppies, they generally require less rather than more of both. Increased growth and calcium can manifest in growth issues and going east/west is often one of the first you may identify.

If a puppy is going east/west, in general terms two things I would consider doing would be decreasing overall calories and decreasing calcium.

There are two foods, based on my research and experience etc, that are IMO 'better' for growing large breed puppies.

These are Pro Plan Performance (which is an all life stages food and better than their large breed puppy formula) and Eagle Pack Large and Giant Breed Puppy. These two have a better balance when it comes to calcium intake etc for growing large breed pups.

The other thing I suggest is not feeding too much extra bone. A smaller meaty bone daily for chewing exercise (e.g. half a chicken frame or a beef brisket bone) is good, but any extra meat mixed in the food should IMO be boneless (so not chicken mince which has bone in it).

You can include things like pulped veggies (these increase volume but can help decrease overall calories if you feed them as a portion of the diet). Also eggs, sardines once or twice a week etc as well, but keep an eye on calories and be sure to keep your pup lean.

FWIW

Definitely talk to the breeder and take their advice first and foremost.

A few suggestions though if your pup is going east/west.

The two main issues to be aware of when growing larger breed puppies is overall calorie intake and amount of calcium. With large breed puppies, they generally require less rather than more of both. Increased growth and calcium can manifest in growth issues and going east/west is often one of the first you may identify.

If a puppy is going east/west, in general terms two things I would consider doing would be decreasing overall calories and decreasing calcium.

There are two foods, based on my research and experience etc, that are IMO 'better' for growing large breed puppies.

These are Pro Plan Performance (which is an all life stages food and better than their large breed puppy formula) and Eagle Pack Large and Giant Breed Puppy. These two have a better balance when it comes to calcium intake etc for growing large breed pups.

The other thing I suggest is not feeding too much extra bone. A smaller meaty bone daily for chewing exercise (e.g. half a chicken frame or a beef brisket bone) is good, but any extra meat mixed in the food should IMO be boneless (so not chicken mince which has bone in it).

You can include things like pulped veggies (these increase volume but can help decrease overall calories if you feed them as a portion of the diet). Also eggs, sardines once or twice a week etc as well, but keep an eye on calories and be sure to keep your pup lean.

FWIW

Thankyou so much.

I am feeding Holistic Select & this is the new name for Eagle pack. My breeder has said to feed this as it has a lower protein level of 23% in the large puppy. I give 1/2 a frame each day & some chic dog mince so I will cut down on the mince. Would you contunue with the sardines ??

Not a new name for Eagle Pack - just another product line put out by the same company. If you are feeding the large and giant breed puppy formula it looks ok on paper (though I have no experience with this particular product line and in a quick look could not check the total calories to compare that aspect). Yes, I might cut out the chicken mince, and add veggies and the occasional egg. I would probably still give sardines once or twice a week. But talk to your breeder first. They are the best person to discuss this with.