Breeding Question-how Many Times Should I "tie" Them

lionqueen

Hi everyone.

I am in the process of carrying out a planned mating between my 6yo female and 3yo male, and was wondering what the general consensus is as far as:

How many times should a pair be "tied"?

Should they be let do it "at will" or does this pose too many risks of injury to the male?

Is it better to mate and then wait one day/two days until mating them again?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Edited by lionqueen

Do you have a 'mentor'- a breeder connected to your dogs ,who is helping you? Ask them .. they may have an idea of fertility in the lines ...

Sometimes a tie is not even necessary. Slip matings can produce a pregnancy.

I was taught one mating ..then a day, then another mating..but each situation is different ..and I guess, in this age of blood tests , etc .. the levels of hormone present tells you the ideal times , and makes it easier :)

What happened last time the bitch was mated? Did she need a tie, or how many matings ? You could go by that.

..and, just a thought ..if this is her first time ....it seems very late for a first litter.... but I presume you have done the research and vet checks :o

Edited by persephone

Hi Persephone,

Yes I have mentors in the breeders of my male, and also the breeders of his grandparents. From what thay have told me the lines on that side are fairly fertile. As far as the female side goes I'm not so sure as her breeders are no longer in the game, just that she was one of a litter of 11.

My female has had the one litter 2 years ago, which was accidental at that time (Our male wrecked a crate and escaped then wrecked the gate on her run to breed her. THE same runs that had kept our entire male rottweiler and the female amstaff apart for many years.) He was out for 10 mins max, and I didn't even see them tied, but it resulted in 9 puppies.

This time I have looked back at when he got her that time (day 16) and his behaviour then (trying to jump out, wreck the mesh with his teeth, howling, constant whining, etc) and his behaviour is starting to resemble that now, from my count she is on day 14 from first spotting.

We bred them yesterday which went really well and resulted in a 30 minute tie.

My last breeding we did one mating, a 20 inute tie and had 12 pups. Yours don't sounds as if they will be likely to have fertility problems. If you want to do another late today or tomorrow you can, or you can leave it as is.

One mating may do fine. I always try them again 48 hours later to ensure more chance.

Sometimes the female may refuse him or he may not be interested so then its just keep your fingers crossed. Other times they mate again fine.

I don't mate them say a week apart for the simple fact that you may get some normal size pups & some tiny ones.

I don't let them run loose & mate at will either. I guess some may & dogs do manage to mate without us humans around but I would be scared of injury to either of them. The male would also be exhausted.

Thanks Christina,

I am aiming on attempting each day from day 11 to day 14, and let the dogs decide, I most probably will know from his behaviour and also hers.

So far we had a 30 min tie yesterday (day 11)and a 20 min tie today (day 12)...

I test them eachc day from when I think the bitch is ready and then let them mate every day until the bitch goes off and the dog is no longer interested. I've never missed a bitch doing it this way.

I do this too. I allow them one mating per day from the time she is receptive, until such time as one of them has lost interest. I've never had it fail.

I do know of owners of stud dogs that only ever allow one mating. Once he's done his bit, there is no coming back again for seconds. I certainly don't agree with this but there are plenty that operate like this.

Thanks Whippet and Jerojath,

I have heard a lot of differing opinion too...

I think I will do one mating a day from day 11 to day 14 and see if she is still receptive aafter that. I don't want to risk some pups being a lot smaller due to being concieved later...

Lionqueen, if you are doing prog tests, you will know exactly when to do the mating. Once she ovulates, wait 48 hours then do the mating. That's all you need assuming all goes well.

Eggs take 48 hours after ovulation to become "ripe" and allow penetration of the sperm for fertilisation. Sperm from fresh semen will live for days inside your bitch and will clean up any eggs that she releases. All eggs are released at the same time, so no eggs can be "conceived later", it is not possible. Your bitch will release maybe 10 eggs and your stud may have half a billion sperm in his ejaculate, so even if only 25% of them are viable, all eggs released will be fertilised! If you have smaller pups, it would be either genetics at work or a less favourable position in the uterus for gestation than other litter mates.

The other benefit here is that you know exactly what day the pups are due - 63 days from the day of ovulation - NOT mating. Some bitches will stand for a dog all the way through their season and some dogs would mate a fence post, so canine sexual behaviour is not always the best way to determine when to mate.

And the bitch determines the number of pups that you have, the dog determines the sex :)

We only do one mating and have never missed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Whippet and Jerojath,

I have heard a lot of differing opinion too...

I think I will do one mating a day from day 11 to day 14 and see if she is still receptive aafter that. I don't want to risk some pups being a lot smaller due to being concieved later...

That's one of the biggest crocks of poo going.

ETA: people make it so much more difficult and involved than it needs to be, with prog testing and do this and that on certain days. Keep it simple, let the dogs get on woth it and feed them both plenty of red meat on the days when they are mating

Edited by WreckitWhippet