Susan Garrett's Recallers 4

Kavik

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I think it was 5 new games a week for 7 weeks, course access is probably longer than that, I can't remember :laugh:

All of the options, prices and what is included will be shown when course registration opens up. I don't know all of the details. She is very good at letting you know what is included in each package.

One thing that is quite cool I think is that if you pay for it once, you can get free entry the next time if you enter the video competition.

Edited by Kavik

Hi Kavik,

Awesome video, well done :thumbsup:

You may be able to answer my question, why would people do recallers a second or third time? Surely you learn everthing the first time?

TIA :)

There are a few reasons I want to do Recallers again.

1) It is great for inspiration and motivation to try new things and mix up my training

2) To be able to rewatch the videos and make sure I am doing the games correctly - that my mechanics are correct in case I have forgotten or gotten lazy with them

3) To do a better job at those games I had difficulty with the first time

4) To see how far I have come since last time and push myself (Susan said there will be extra bits for returning Recallers)

5) To see what extra games/features will be included

6) To get help with games/things I have difficulty with and to help others who are having difficulty with something I also struggled with before

7) It is fun!

ETA 8) Really try hard to record keep this time! (I am really bad at record keeping!)

There are people signed up to Recallers 4 for whom it is the 4th time they have taken the course!

Edited by Kavik

I enrolled today and am so excited. Watching all the videos on the site and her facebook page i'm hoping we can achieve the same kind of results and enjoy being with our girls at the same time. I want them to enjoy our training and I want to enjoy it too. I only did the cheapest option. I have to admit watching all those videos so many of them almost bring a tear to my eye..... Time is at a premium at our place and i'm looking forward to making training a priority in an enjoyable way for both the girls and us.

Is getting the DVD worth it? I might go for the el cheapo option unless there is a great reason to upgrade.

I only did the cheapest option last time :)

My username on Recallers is also Kavik, feel free to follow me if you wish (once you get the hang of navigating the site) :)

Edited by Kavik

One question for those who have done recallers before. I notice lots of dogs using tug toys for the games etc. My girls are GSPs and have very 'soft' mouths. Can anyone recommend a good tug toy and somewhere to get them? They really are very picky about what they are prepared to put in their mouth and if it's not soft there is no chance!

There are a few reasons I want to do Recallers again.

1) It is great for inspiration and motivation to try new things and mix up my training

2) To be able to rewatch the videos and make sure I am doing the games correctly - that my mechanics are correct in case I have forgotten or gotten lazy with them

3) To do a better job at those games I had difficulty with the first time

4) To see how far I have come since last time and push myself (Susan said there will be extra bits for returning Recallers)

5) To see what extra games/features will be included

6) To get help with games/things I have difficulty with and to help others who are having difficulty with something I also struggled with before

7) It is fun!

ETA 8) Really try hard to record keep this time! (I am really bad at record keeping!)

There are people signed up to Recallers 4 for whom it is the 4th time they have taken the course!

I've had trouble putting into words why I want to do it again. This is a great list of reasons :)

Ooooooh i so want to do this but I have just spent (wasted) $300 on a dog trainer/behaviourst and I just don't want to waste any more money.

I love the idea that you get a program to do a specific game ach day. That's the kind of thing I need.

So for Luka especially should I do it or not? He is 12 months old now, as bright as a button. Very focussed in the back yard, not so much once distractions come into play. He can be a bit reactive to other dogs, not agressive just over the top enthusiastic. He still gets unsure when new people visit the house or if people approach on walks. I have been working on counter conditioning with him but it's a slow road. I am determined to persevere though, he has improved already (incidentally the trainer never even talked about counter conditioning just wanted me to get Luka's focus top notch so he was more interested in me than the distraction ). For people who have done the recallers before, do you think the program will work in harmony with the counter conditioning or not. I don't want to keep chopping and changing my training style in case my wee man gets too confused. Oh and he isn't a tugger, not with me anyway. He plays tug with the other dogs but as soon as I try to tug with him he just lets go. Do you think this would be a problem?

Sorry for all the questions.

One of my dogs is reactive, and when I did Recallers last year, I noticed his reactivity improved too. I think it's both because the course focuses quite a bit on impulse control, and also because you learn how to work around distractions, and so everything in the environment that your dog would normally react to or want to check out, becomes just another distraction.

Last year a lot of the dogs also learnt to enjoy tugging. Mine will now tug with me, which they never did before. Still needs work though. It was no issue doing the course using food though. A lot of the games where you are supposed to tug, they explain how to do them if you have to use food.

Recallers is mostly about relationship building games, drive and impulse control so would help with distractions and keeping focus around other dogs.

You can do most of the games with food only, there are a couple that require tug but you don't have to do them if your dog won't tug. Tugging is greatly encouraged, and there will be a section specifically on tugging if you want to give it a shot. My dog would not tug reliably when I started the course, and now he tugs really well at home (still not great away from the yard, but for the games in the yard he is awesome!).

On my list of things to improve is our tugging transitions into/out of work, tugging outside the yard, and speed up our retrieve.

Edited by Kavik

Your video looks great, Kavik! I've got a few issues myself with Millie switching off for a good sniff or boglap every now and then. The more I hear about Recallers, the more I'd actually like to give it a try (but she doesn't tug, do you need a tugging dog to do Recallers?) Never mind, just read the responses on this page and got the answer!

But why couldn't the 8 weeks have been over the Xmas uni break!!!! Not a good time to be starting this for me :(

Another question - do you need a decent backyard to do the games? I have no backyard to train in. Just a bit of paving. Oh how I long for a decent backyard for training, or to live across the road from a park!

Edited by RubyStar