Weird Car Behaviour

flame ryder

My dog Mojo loves going in the car, he knows it gets him to places he likes to be such as puppy school or the beach. He will happily jump in the car and he is happy to look out the window or sit quietly on my lap...but as soon as we hit the open road and start to speed up he tries to hide his head under my arm. If I am the driver he is not allowed to sit on my lap of course, but he will try to climb under the passenger seat to hide, again only once I've sped up to over 60. He never cries or barks just tries to hide his head. This is really annoying so if the trip is longer than an hour we will crate him and put him in the back of the ute with the other dog. Not sure how he likes this as I can't see into the back so hopefully he's ok with it. Tried covering a crate with a towel in the back seat and he seems to dislike this also. I've never had a dog with this weird behavior so I am baffled by it and have no ideas why he acts in this bizarre manner as soon as we go over 60.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have a few ideas ... the fast moving objects outside, the vibration of the wheels on teh road, the change in air pressure inside the car , teh different sound of teh engine ..something is scaring him.

Dogs should ideally be crated or attached securely on the back seat or rear compartment ...

if he is happier 'hiding under a seat..then tether him on the floor ..so he cannot see out .

If , heaven forbid, you have top brake suddenly etc ..a dog loose in a car can badly injure humans , as a missile, or itself. :(

We wear seatbelts, and put kids in special seats - for that reason :)

I get motion sickness when travelling, I would think that some dogs might suffer with it too. I wonder if you can get something safe and natural for it to give beforehand eg ginger?? I have no idea if it would work, but it might ? might be worth doing some research into what might be effective? I do a couple things myself but im not sure they would be suitable for a dog also ;-)

All my dogs have been fine with travelling any safe speeds or distance ..

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Is he like this in every car or just this Ute? Sometimes it can be something vehicle specific that can cause upset - eg there is a tiny hole that makes a noise that upsets him but only happens after a certain speed - or something else about the ute that comes into play at speed. If covering him over didn;t help, then it would suggest it isn't a visual thing upsetting him.