Once A Month Pill For Ticks As Well As Fleas

sheena

Just came across this article which is a little old "2009" where they were working on a Once a Month Pill for both fleas & TICKS. Last time I was at the vets, the vet nurse said that a new pill to take the place of Proban was in the pipeline. It can't come soon enough...I have just opened my last bottle of Proban. I put Advantix on them last night (tuesday) & was wondering if anyone knows if I can re-apply it in five days instead of 14, as I am going away & leaving them with the housesitters. :confused:

Edited by sheena

A pill would be fantastic as I was reading the Advantix insert and it says the product is effective after bathing with soap free shampoo, however for maximum protection it's best if the dog is not washed within 14 days of application.

So does that mean I can *never* wash my dogs as it's applied fortnightly for ticks?:confused:

My dogs swim every day as part of their daily routine, so that's why a pill would be so useful to me. Every fortnight after I apply the Advantix, they can't go in the water for 2 days & it is very sad faces at the pool gate for two days :cry: With this new pill (if it ever happens) I guess it will be similiar to Proban, in as such, it doesn't actually repel the ticks, just kills them. So I will have to keep putting on the Advantix anyway to actually stop the nasties from getting on...not that it is very affective either...but maybe will only have to apply it once a month. Not sure how they can claim that the new pill will prevent Lymes (sp?) disease, if the tick still gets on them & bites before it dies.

I thought the breakthrough of a once a month pill for paralysis tick, may have got a little more interest & comment from DOL's, or is it just a handful like myself that lives with the problem of ticks :(

I think i will be more excited once they have started trials etc. I know how long it can take for something to reach the market.

I wouldnt want to do it less than 5 days later, could you ask the person looking after your dogs to put it on? I use advantix as well and we don't wash my dog for 2 days prior or 2 days after so try to wash her maybe a week later. Unforunately you get the greasy coat which sucks :(