Rescue Dog Training - Do Nothing Exercise

Wow! That's interesting to see that observation verbalised. I've always done a specific thing with my rescue dogs, many of who have been given up for bad behaviour. I always have really comfy dog beds on the lounge room floor close to where the humans and other dogs sit while watching telly at night but also in a position to give full view of the entire room, entrances and exits. Generally from the first night the foster dog will work out that they are allowed on this bed. Once they find it I leave them to it - no talking or going near them etc. But when I can see they are sleepy I go and sit on the floor beside the dog bed and start massaging them. I tend to continue watching the tv and just stroking and rubbing them wherever they will let me. Every night I do the same thing and I can see how the dogs become ok with my hands and start feeling trust in me as they will move their bodies so I can access other areas (like their bellies). By the second week I start looking at them and talking to them while I do it and I can usually find their special spot by then and ask for kisses. I've found they bond so much better and it helps with their confidence levels to have their own special spot where they feel totally safe. They are also crate trained from that first night - crate is in my room and door is left open until they have less fear. The trick for me is always giving them really squishy bedding and I don't care if they chew or mess on it. I never chastise them for that as I want those beds to be safe and happy places.

I do think that it gets to the stage for a lot of rescue dogs where the only attention they get is for poor behaviour and so it becomes difficult for them to understand what is right and what is wrong anymore, particularly in all the new environments they encounter over such a short period of time. It is good to be reminded that not all this indoors dog stuff comes naturally to some rescue dogs.