When And How Far To Walk

outbackdean

Hi

When and how far do I walk a GSD puppy on lead ?

I have heard that with the bigger breeds you have to be more carful about how far you walk with them up to the age of 12 months.

thankyou for any advice given

Dean

Your breeder should have provided detailed info on how to raise the puppy in relation to diet and exercise.

free play is more important as they will stop when tired, or should! I used to just walk my pups the length of a couple of houses at first and slowly work up to around the block - about 10 minutes by around 6 months. 30 minutes by around 12 months. And would often sit by the sidelines when at obedience classes for a breather half way through. Training at home was 5 minutes max couple times a day.

On lead time is for socialization and training, not for exercise. Exercise should be free play so the pup can stop and rest when it wants and exercise in bursts. Either in your yard, in a fenced area or other safe area. You can use something like a long line/horse lunge line if you don't have a 'safe' area to let the pup off lead. For example at the local park or oval or beach. Play with the pup and have fun, but let it stop and rest of it needs to. Going for 'walks' is not a good idea as the repetitive action, particularly on harder surfaces can damage growing joints and bones. Instead take the pup out to places like the pet store, markets, footy match, cafe, local shops, a drive in the car etc so they get exposure to all sorts of things, but not 'walks' which are not ideal for either physical or mental exercise.

Thankyou for all your replies ,it is what we have been doing we just wanted other opinions as it is 13 years since we had our last GSD puppy

Cheers ish

that is the article I could not find thankyou.

last time we had a GSD we still had GSD club here but it is now gone / finished

thanking you