Help Gaining Weight

Sankari

My 13 month old Finnish Lapphund has been on a raw diet for almost 2 months now, and I have noticed she's lost a little condition. I'd like to get some more weight and condition onto her.

Any suggestions of what to add to her diet to help with that?

Thanks in advance :)

Shes eating raw chicken or beef mince, necks, wings and also lamb necks and a range of vegies and offal. She seems happy and settled on this amount but has started to drop hence why i'd like to get on top of it before it becomes an issue.

Edited by LucyCharzie

Maybe instead of the mince you could give her chicken frames, or minced carcasses if you really need to feed it minced, but whole frames are good for eating.

You also might just need to adjust your quantity and add another wing or two each day, and see How it goes.

Edited by minimax

The chicken mince is minced carcasses. She wont eat whole frames but minced she will eat them :confused:

I'll up the amount and add an extra couple wings and see if that works, i am not overly worried, but just would like a bit more condition on her to be 100% happy with how she is at the present time.

Have you asked your vet about her condition at all? When we are used to seeing a dog fed on kibble it can happen that we get used to seeing them a little plump and chubby like and some of them can trim down a little on a raw diet.

I also believe it won't hurt them to be a bit on the lean side when they are young but I mostly have large dog experience, slightly smaller dogs might be different :) (Not lean as in all ribs are visible and spine is hanging out, just maybe the last 2-3 ribs visible and a well pronounced waist lol)

I suggest sardines too - not every day of course, but once a week or so. Mine all love them, but it gives one of them diarrhoea, so - just a word of warning. They don't agree with everyone, and diarrhoea is bad enough as is, let alone SARDINE diarrhoea.... ;)

How about just upping the amount of food?

Agree with everyone's comments.

In addition, you could try lamb breast flaps. They are a little more fatty and could help with the weight gain.

I used to feed mine tinned sardines, but with three large dogs (2 now), had to get a few cans. I started including fresh fish (sardines/pilchards/mackeral) and they love it. In summer, I leave them frozen, so it's like "fish-icle".....lol. Start off with a small amount so the dog can get used to it. Not all dogs may like fresh fish so beware.

Good luck.