Precision Heeling

Just wondering if anyone else was participating in the precision heeling course? I joined up toady and look forward to learning how to teach a heel position.

Have started a little bit tonight of the perch work and Hudson definitely gets the idea of getting up onto the disk, it is just the pivoting we need to work on, but still have lots of time to work on it. Should help when I start to think about obedience/rally.

So is anyone else doing this course, or have done it before? If so, how did you find it overall?

Here is a link to the info - http://www.agility-u.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_category_id=15&virtuemart_product_id=69

There are observing spots left which is what I have. You get to see all the documents/videos etc. and you can also read the forums, just cannot submit videos or comments on the forum.

I don't have anywhere to learn traditional/competition obedience so I am using this as a starter to hopefully learn some heeling skills!

I'm doing the course. My dogs already know to get up on a foam square and pivot, but for some reason one of them really struggled with pivoting, particularly when I've tried to remove the platform. So far he's doing well with the course :)

Edited by fuzzy82

I joined as an observer. :thumbsup: Have only had a fairly quick look at week 1 early last week - no time since then - but really liking what I'm seeing. Have done quite a bit of perch and platform work - but am loving the increasing precision Denise is teaching. Did you guys know she is coming out to Oz later in the year - Newcastle and Camp Tailwaggers in September, I think, and WA - I know the WA working spots are filled already :laugh: .

Looks like it would be fantastic.

I did teach my boy heelwork last year for rally-o using a platform, look on youtube for buffalodogtraining. It got me off to a great start, I did cut some corners as I had a time limit, but I also had a few private lessons with a fabulous dancing with dogs instructor who really helped a lot too.

hmmm, to join or not? ETA at least if I spend the $$ I will get into action and maybe get out trialling again

Do you guys recommended it?

Edited by helen

I'm doing the course. My dogs already know to get up on a foam square and pivot, but for some reason one of them really struggled with pivoting, particularly when I've tried to remove the platform. So far he's doing well with the course :)

It is very frustrating LOL. My boy Chazer who I wanted to teach heel has trouble pivoting on the spot and I had to spend a long time to get a fraction of what I wanted. I then put my girl Tilly on there and she just privoted around top speed right from the start LOL. Chazer can walk sideways brilliantly though and dogs aren't supposed to be able to do that easily, so I am sure your dog will have its own talent :)

It is very frustrating LOL. My boy Chazer who I wanted to teach heel has trouble pivoting on the spot and I had to spend a long time to get a fraction of what I wanted. I then put my girl Tilly on there and she just privoted around top speed right from the start LOL. Chazer can walk sideways brilliantly though and dogs aren't supposed to be able to do that easily, so I am sure your dog will have its own talent :)

Hah, yeah, my other dog has been heeling like a champion for over a year, using the same training method. Very strange. My non-heeling dog is a master at trick training though, and my champion heeler isn't. They all have things they're good at and not so good at :)

Snap, RV. :-) ....my excuse is agility training ready for trials in a couple of weeks (including Rory's NJ debut) and Rally and Ob trial last weekend ..and a double show this weekend. But I'm looking forward to getting back to it, and to the next course.