Bike Working Dogs..... Where In Western Sydney?

Penrith Regatta Centre is great. Flat , plenty of parking, no off-lead dogs, one-way bike track,separate walking path, toilets, set distance course (although it is possible to sidetrack beside the sailing/ training lake to get extra distance and train on grass). The only problem is that there are often serious cyclists using the course so you need to keep to the left o you don't get run over - they are fast!

Penrith Regatta Centre is great. Flat , plenty of parking, no off-lead dogs, one-way bike track,separate walking path, toilets, set distance course (although it is possible to sidetrack beside the sailing/ training lake to get extra distance and train on grass). The only problem is that there are often serious cyclists using the course so you need to keep to the left o you don't get run over - they are fast!

And not days when there are rowing comps on!

Sorry guys, but I go to the Regatta Centre to walk dogs frequently, there are several signs saying that biking dogs is not permitted. I even checked with a Security Guard who stopped to meet the dogs whether I could apply for permission, still a definite no.......

ETA: Should have said thanks anyway!

Edited by jilldog

Are you allowed to bike with dogs on the M7 bike path? I know you can walk dogs, I can't find anywhere on the website that says you can't bike dogs only that they have to be on leash at all times.

If your dog would be ok on the bike path surface maybe you can look into it further?

Thanks heaps Gertrude139, had not thought of that at all!

Are you allowed to bike with dogs on the M7 bike path? I know you can walk dogs, I can't find anywhere on the website that says you can't bike dogs only that they have to be on leash at all times.

If your dog would be ok on the bike path surface maybe you can look into it further?

It would probably cost money for use of their facilities, but perhaps contact Farmer Dave and his Australian Canine Sports Centre.

http://www.lovesdogs.com.au/

I don't know if there is anywhere in that facility that would be suited to riding a bike with a dog?

I've been using Rouse Hill Regional Park as well as the bike path along Wndsor Road (although the dog must be used to a lot of traffic for this).

It is quite wide, it's seperated into two 'lanes' and most of the serious cyclists use the road anyway. We mostly come across people walking or running. We start at McGraths Hill as there is a car park right next to where it starts and then head towards Box Hill and back.

Rouse Hill Regional park is good because of the variety of surfaces you can use. There are paths. dirt tracks, grass and gravel.

Are you looking at doing the ET in August? If so maybe we could meet up closer to the date as I'm going to put my Border Collie girl in, for a bit of practice biking two dogs together :)

Also seeing as you are in Castle Hill have you tried the Showground? Its a bit busy at the moment with the show this weekend. There are off lead dogs on the ovals but it coud be ok if you stick to the roads within the grounds?

Edited by ~Rumour~

I was going to enter but I have stuffed my ankle. :(

Still interested to do the ET in the future though and I would like to do some biking with the dogs for general fitness for me and them anyway once my ankle can cope. I had been trying to think of places we could train at.

I would be happy to meet up for some practice together in the future!

I would have thought the showground was a bit small? End up going round in circles but that might be a good place to start for small distances, thank you. It also always seems so busy! Might have to try that once they are better at not getting distracted, there is always lots of excitement at left over food scraps from the markets.

Sorry for hijacking jilldog.

It would probably cost money for use of their facilities, but perhaps contact Farmer Dave and his Australian Canine Sports Centre.

http://www.lovesdogs.com.au/

I don't know if there is anywhere in that facility that would be suited to riding a bike with a dog?

I've been using Rouse Hill Regional Park as well as the bike path along Wndsor Road (although the dog must be used to a lot of traffic for this).

I don't know either, as I haven't been there, but thought it might be worth the OP asking. They have a lure coursing track, so thought something similar might be available.

Sorry guys, but I go to the Regatta Centre to walk dogs frequently, there are several signs saying that biking dogs is not permitted. I even checked with a Security Guard who stopped to meet the dogs whether I could apply for permission, still a definite no.......

What a pain! When I trained for an ET in the past it was fine to be there- the staff would give me friendly waves. I assumed that it would be ok for training my dog there next year - so now I am watching this thread closely too!

Yes it certainly IS a pain - I love that place, everyone I see with dogs is sensible about keeping their distance and you have such a good view of where any dogs are as well.

What a pain! When I trained for an ET in the past it was fine to be there- the staff would give me friendly waves. I assumed that it would be ok for training my dog there next year - so now I am watching this thread closely too!