Whippet Pup With One Nut?

Hi everyone, we have had our Whippet for 6 months now, he's 8 months old. He only has one testicle that has descended. The vet said because of this it will cost up to $300 to get him desexed, compared to $100 if both were descended. Does this sound normal?

Thank you :)

Yep. Very normal. When one is undescended like that, desexing will be minor abdominal surgery instead of just via the scrotum. Which obviously is more intense for the vet and a larger op for the pup.

Which part are you concerned might not be normal?

Paying more for desexing with an undescended testicle? Definitely normal. The vet will have to locate it internally and remove it. Longer surgery, more incisions, more $$$$

A male Whippet pup with an undescended testicle? Certainly not uncommon. It's an issue in the breed. I do hope it was pointed out to you when you bought the pup that it might not descend.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

It might have been mentioned, it was a while ago and we were both excited so didn't take in everything that was said!! I just didn't know if it was common or the price sounded ok or over the top. The vet said it didn't matter when it was done, but we'd like it done before he's 12 months old. Is there a preferred age for it to be done?

Thanks for all the help :)

It might have been mentioned, it was a while ago and we were both excited so didn't take in everything that was said!! I just didn't know if it was common or the price sounded ok or over the top. The vet said it didn't matter when it was done, but we'd like it done before he's 12 months old. Is there a preferred age for it to be done?

As I said, it's not that uncommon. It makes the desexing more complex and akin to a female spay because of the increased surgical time, therefore the price is more too.

I think the general consensus is that it should be done at the usual time of desexing. There is a risk that retained testies can become cancerous but from my reading this does take a while. I think any time from now on would be fine but the timing is something you could discuss with your vet. Your boy is definitely old enough to sire a litter so if that is an issue (in terms of access to entire bitches), I'd be opting with sooner rather than later.

Yes, both testicles removed is the usual male method of desexing. You can get a vasectomy done but I have no idea why anyone would want one on a male cat. I wonder if your friend got that right.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Yep he definately is. I know of a 7 or 8 month old male that was recovering for a nasty knee injury - he was pretty much on three legs - and managed to sire a litter of 6 from one mating!!!

Edited by OSoSwift

Neither of Storm's (my whippet) testicles had descended by 6 months of age when we had him desexed.

They were found quite high up so it was a big surgery for a male & by memory it cost us $360 around 7 1/2 years ago.

EFS

Edited by Stormy

As I said, it's not that uncommon. It makes the desexing more complex and akin to a female spay because of the increased surgical time, therefore the price is more too.

I think the general consensus is that it should be done at the usual time of desexing. There is a risk that retained testies can become cancerous but from my reading this does take a while. I think any time from now on would be fine but the timing is something you could discuss with your vet. Your boy is definitely old enough to sire a litter so if that is an issue (in terms of access to entire bitches), I'd be opting with sooner rather than later.

Yes, both testicles removed is the usual male method of desexing. You can get a vasectomy done but I have no idea why anyone would want one on a male cat. I wonder if your friend got that right.

Cat breeders often have a vasctomised stud that is used to take the females out of call. Prolific callers like Siamese and Burmese breeders often use them.