Report Of The Nsw Taskforce On Companion Animal Welfare

Aphra

Just spotted this

http://lifestyle.ninemsn.com.au/viralvideo/295274/dog-caged-for-12-years-emerges-into-grassy-freedom.glance

A dog walking on grass for the first time in its life.

Yet the very Animal Welfare laws they want passed bann any one breeding dogs from them being allowed to run on grass? Where and what do they think they are doing? forcing an owner to do what the above news story says is cruel?

The lack of shock absorbency in concrete flooring affects feet first, causing the soles and heels to ache. Feet take the brunt of the hard impact, as the muscles in the feet absorb the impact to protect the legs, back and rest of the body. Muscles can become sore,and over time, bones may even weaken as a result, leading to susceptibility to fracture. They may develop lower-leg pain as the feet fail to absorb the full shock of concrete to the joints. The muscles in the calves can become sore as they endure more impact than usual from the hard concrete, and knees may begin to ache. Over time, the joints in the knees can become permanently damaged and arthritis may develop.

Hip Degeneration - Constantly walking on concrete floors is extremely hard on hip sockets. The hard landing on the concrete jars the joints in the hips, causing long-term damage such as arthritis or degeneration of the hip bone, and may necessitate hip-replacement surgery.

Frequent contact with cement residue can cause skin irritation which can cause rashes or irritation on the soles of the feet.

Dogs that have been studied in a noise environment were found to have increased pulse rates, faster respiration and tenser muscles. Noise can require considerably more oxygen consumption by dogs and cause expenditure of fully 25 per cent more energy even when the dog himself is not exercising.

Edited by Steve

Wow just read everything and I think it will mean I will have to give up breeding. My dogs all live in the house do it would mean constructing kennels I would never use, plusI'd have to put in a septic system? That would surely cost me a fortune. As well as a continuous supply ofwater to said kennels .. Lovely way to throw money away when you live in an arid area. How do they expect small hobby breeders such as myself to afford this??

I'm in the same boat indigirl, my 5 Papillons live in the house with me and nobody can tell me they are better of confined to commercial kennels. :( My dogs are my family, breeding/showing is a hobby. I usually just breed one litter a year, very rarely 2 but in the last 14 months I have reared 2 litters totatling 3 puppies. I kept for show.... While I am happy for the RSPCA or the AWL to come see how I care for my dogs, I cannot meet the other requirements expected of breeders.... This Legislation will surely have a huge snow ball effect..

[ my 5 Papillons live in the house with me and nobody can tell me they are better of confined to commercial kennels. :( My dogs are my family, breeding/showing is a hobby. I usually just breed one litter a year, very rarely 2 but in the last 14 months I have reared 2 litters totatling 3 puppies. I kept for show.... While I am happy for the RSPCA or the AWL to come see how I care for my dogs, I cannot meet the other requirements expected of breeders.... This Legislation will surely have a huge snow ball effect..

.... And every bit of actual scientific evidence on how best to to raise companion dogs, would lead me straight to a breeder who operates exactly as you do.

After reading the animal welfare code for breeding dogs I can't see where it says the dogs must be kept on concrete? It actually gives you the space requirements for a socialized pack of dogs living in a "backyard or house". So seems you don't have to have a kennel complex.

Some of the rules can be dealt with but others are ridiculous and I resent that I'd have to pay an annual licensing fee. Also Im not keen on allowing a stranger access to my dogs just so they can tick the box saying they are cared for appropriately.

I also don't understand why a dog that's under 40cm at the shoulder has to have fences of 180cm height? The fences between my dog yards aren't quite that tall as I don't need them to be. So I'd have to waste money raising the height of the fences. My outside fences are 7ft, it's just the fencing between the yards that isn't tall enough I have no prob with high perimeter fencing.

Just a stupid waste of money and effort that would seem to encourage more litters to be bred to cover the additional costs.

ETA also we would have to have all theses stupid policy documents like how to swiftly remove an animal from the 'facility' .. Umm carry it out the door .. Gawd. Beyond stupid.

Edited by indigirl